PPP keeps disconnecting after a few seconds!

PPP keeps disconnecting after a few seconds!

Post by Britt A. Gree » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

    I'm having some problems using PPP with Redhat 5.2. Specifically, I dial
up via minicom (yeah, I know there's easier ways to do it...) and give my
ISP my userid and password. I then get back some PPP gibberish. Then I quit
minicom (although I don't hang up the phone). Next, as root I type 'pppd'.
But then if I try to connect to a remote site, I get an error message saying
it couldn't connect, or something like that.

    I've checked and rechecked my /etc/ppp/options and /etc/resolv.conf
files and they seem okay. So, I tailed /var/log/messages and noticed this:
"CCP: timeout sending Config-Request". Could someone tell me what this
means, and how to solve it?

    Oh, if it helps, my /etc/resolv.conf file is:

search teleport.com
nameserver 198.108.254.11

and my /etc/ppp/options file is:

0.0.0.0:
/dev/ttyS1
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
asyncmap 0
mtu 576
mru 576

 The really strange thing about this is that this worked fine several months
ago, with Redhat 5.1

    --Britt

--
Tofu hot dogs are merely an isotope of meat. If you yourself are a
vegetarian, but still dream of burgers, then all you really are is a

PPP keeps disconnecting after a few seconds!

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>     I'm having some problems using PPP with Redhat 5.2. Specifically, I dial
> up via minicom (yeah, I know there's easier ways to do it...) and give my
> ISP my userid and password. I then get back some PPP gibberish. Then I quit
> minicom (although I don't hang up the phone). Next, as root I type
> 'pppd'.

Please show us the debug-level log from pppd.

If you had bothered to read the group before you posted you'd notice
we always ask for this.  There is a reason for this.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |
?

1. minicom disconnects me after being connected a few seconds.

hi, im using redhat 4.1 and im trying to connect to my isp with
minicom, so far i get it to connect and it asks me my login and password
and stuff., and it logs me in. Then i think I finally got it working and
it disconnects me! I read somewhere i'm supposed to take ppp control
away from minicom or something or other. im confused, what should i do!?
thanks.

2. Apache: environment variables in directives

3. How can I keep my PPP from redialing after disconnect?

4. Linux HELP - faq

5. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

6. Q: about "long long" type..

7. PPP disconnecting after about 30 seconds, help

8. WTB: F50 SCSI drive bay backplane

9. keeping two ppp connection alive?

10. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

11. How to keep two directories on two machines identical?

12. PPPD keeps disconnecting...

13. PPPD on Linux, keep getting disconnected