trouble pinging

Post by Vamp » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

I have two computers on a small home network: one is running windows 95 and
the other Debian linux v2.1.  Both have D-link NICS(the windows is a DE-528,
the linux is DE-220).  I have both of the cards configured correctly and the
linux box uses a ne-2000 compatible isa driver.  both computers can ping
themselves and eth0 does show up when I run ifconfig. The network also shows
up correctly in the routing table. But when i ping the linux computer from
windows 95 and vice versa, it times out.  if i run tcpdump on linux and then
ping it from windows 95 it shows that the linux box is receving the request
and that it is sending a return packet, but the windows 95 ping still times
out.  I have even tried running a win95 packet sniffer and found the same
results when I ping from linux.
What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Riederer

trouble pinging

Post by patrick.them.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have two computers on a small home network: one is running windows
95 and
> the other Debian linux v2.1.  Both have D-link NICS(the windows is a
DE-528,
> the linux is DE-220).  I have both of the cards configured correctly
and the
> linux box uses a ne-2000 compatible isa driver.  both computers can
ping
> themselves and eth0 does show up when I run ifconfig. The network also
shows
> up correctly in the routing table. But when i ping the linux computer
from
> windows 95 and vice versa, it times out.  if i run tcpdump on linux
and then
> ping it from windows 95 it shows that the linux box is receving the

request

this tells us so far  that the physical connection is ok

Quote:> and that it is sending a return packet, but the windows 95 ping still
times
> out.  I have even tried running a win95 packet sniffer and found the
same
> results

i.e., the win95box receives the request and gives out an answer, but the
linux-ping still times out, is that right?

when I ping from linux.

Quote:> What could I be doing wrong?

it would help to know about
a) your configuration
( ip-adresses, subnet-mask from both machines)
and b)
do you ping with names and adresses
( like ping vvv.www.xxx.yyy AND ping linux.box where vvv.www.xxx.yyy is
the adress of the computer with the name linux.box )

Quote:> Thanks in advance,
> Kevin Riederer

trouble pinging

Post by va.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

The windows 95 box is assigned an ip address of 10.1.1.2 with a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.0
The linux box is 10.1.1.3 and has the same subnet mask
when i try to ping i just type
"ping 10.1.1.2" on linux or
"ping 10.1.1.3" on windows 95

I hope this info helps

Kevin Riederer

> > I have two computers on a small home network: one is running windows
> 95 and
> > the other Debian linux v2.1.  Both have D-link NICS(the windows is a
> DE-528,
> > the linux is DE-220).  I have both of the cards configured correctly
> and the
> > linux box uses a ne-2000 compatible isa driver.  both computers can
> ping
> > themselves and eth0 does show up when I run ifconfig. The network
also
> shows
> > up correctly in the routing table. But when i ping the linux
computer
> from
> > windows 95 and vice versa, it times out.  if i run tcpdump on linux
> and then
> > ping it from windows 95 it shows that the linux box is receving the
> request

> this tells us so far  that the physical connection is ok

> > and that it is sending a return packet, but the windows 95 ping
still
> times
> > out.  I have even tried running a win95 packet sniffer and found the
> same
> > results
> i.e., the win95box receives the request and gives out an answer, but
the
> linux-ping still times out, is that right?

> when I ping from linux.
> > What could I be doing wrong?

> it would help to know about
> a) your configuration
> ( ip-adresses, subnet-mask from both machines)
> and b)
> do you ping with names and adresses
> ( like ping vvv.www.xxx.yyy AND ping linux.box where vvv.www.xxx.yyy
is
> the adress of the computer with the name linux.box )

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kevin Riederer

1. Trouble pinging Linux from Tektronix xterminal

I have a TekTronix XP114C TekXpress xterminal that I'm trying to boot from a
linux box.  Everything actually works I can even get xwindow to work (joy!),
but I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the terminal to ping the
linux host (not to mention boot from it).  This is weird, but here goes:

Ping only works if I first reboot the terminal, then boot the server!  If I
reboot or reset the terminal without rebooting the linux server, I loose my
ability to ping until the next time the server is booted.

Could this be a network card driver bug, a kernel bug, or a ping bug?  I
think its a linux problem because I can ping a 95 box all day from the
terminal.  If you have any ideas, I'd apprecitate hearing them.  Also, if you
could direct me on how to futher investigate, that would be good, too.

Thanks!
David H.

<PRE>

 ----------                               ----------
|          |                             |          |
|  RedHat  |       RJ45                  | Tektronix|
|  Linux   |-----------------------------|  xp114c  |
|   5.2    |       (crossover            |          |
|          |       direct connection)    |          |
 ----------                               ----------
3com 3c905-TX                            Internal network card
192.168.0.1                              192.168.0.3
in.tftpd                                 TekXpress boot monitor v4.0

</PRE>

2. EDI for Linux?

3. trouble pinging router from server

4. Sun Terminal emulation

5. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

6. Lilo: What happened to any_d.b?

7. NFS, ping latency, ssh trouble?

8. Installing 3Comm card

9. Trouble with ping

10. Trouble running PPP - pings only - Help!

11. Trouble with ping, traceroute

12. ping loss of packets -- network or server trouble?

13. Netgear Trouble 3 (Pinging)