PPP and BBS

Post by Geck » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have run a DOS based BBS for the past 3 or 4 years.  I would really
like to set up some way for my users to play TCP/IP and IPX network
games with each other but I can't afford any of the 'big name' software
products that would let me do this.  I have figured out that if I could
somehow allow my users to connect to my bbs through a PPP connection
(via win95 dial-up networking or something similar) they 'should' be
able to play these type of games with each other.  The problem is that
most DOS or Windows based software products that allow PPP connections
are either WAY out of my price range or will not function unless the BBS
is also connected to the internet in some way (which I also cannot
afford right now).  My question is this...is there any way to set up
some sort of shell script (or even a Linux based BBS package) so the my
users can dial in as a PPP connection and access a local web server and
play network games but NOT require my board to be connected to the net?
oh, and if any of what I just said didn't make much sense please ask and
I will try to clarify...I would really like to be able to do this.

Thanks for your time...

l8r,
Gecko

1. lilo error L BB BB BB BB BB

Hello,
I am trying to install debian potato on an elderly system, where
hda-disk is 120MByte and therefore shall host only the /boot - section,
which is mounted to a
10MByte-Partition (/hda1). The rest resides on hde, which a 30GB-HD on
an
promise-controller.

My Problem: After installing debian with some boot parameters for the
controller
and the hde-disk it boots well from the rescue-floppy, but not from hard
disk.
Lilo hangs, showing on the screen:
L BB BB BB BB
and adding a new "BB" every second.

I checked the geometry of hda against BIOS, fdisk, bootmessage and lilo,
they
are identical. I used another location on /hda (perhaps some blocks are
bad?),
but it didn't help.

Could anyone help? What does the Lilo-Message mean? How can I fix this
problem?

Thanks,
Uwe

My output from lilo -v -v -v is

LILO version 21.5-1 beta, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Secondary loader: 8 sectors.
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Boot image: /vmlinuz
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Setup length is 8 sectors.
Mapped 0 sectors.
Added Linux *
    <dev=0xb0,hd=0,cyl=11,sct=112>
    "ro root=2101 BOOT_FILE=/vmlinuz ide2=0x1030,0x1042
     ide3=0x1038,0x1046 hde=59554,16,63"
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
/boot/boot.0300 exists - no backup copy made.
Map file size: 13824 bytes.
Writing boot sector.

2. how to create/access multiple-partitions using loop device

3. lilo error L BB BB BB BB

4. Deamons documentation?

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Installing Apache 1.3.11 on AIX 4.2.1

7. Announcing; New Linux BBS Software / New Linux BBS

8. Accessing Apache Server

9. BBS: Which BBS program you run ?

10. Linux BBS Drealm for Freebsd??..Or any other good BBS's??

11. Announcing; New Linux BBS Software / New Linux BBS

12. BBS setup using VU BBS

13. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE