Automating a remote script from a Windows machine

Automating a remote script from a Windows machine

Post by Drake Christens » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'd like to set up a script to run some IPChains commands for my
roommate.  I could force him to log in manually via telnet to run the
script.  But what I'd really like to do is set up a bat file or something
similar that would automagically fire up telnet, log in, and run the
script.  Does anyone have any tips on how I can do that?

Drake Christensen

1. Use linux machine to handle automated backups from windows and mac systems on network?

OK, here's what's sitting (or soon to be sitting) in my office:

Mac 8500 running Mac OS 9
Wintel clone running Win2K Pro
Wintel clone running some variant of Linux
Cable modem
whatever cables, hubs, etc. that I will need.

What I'd like to be able to do with the linux box is have it run
automated back-ups of itself and the networked wintel and mac machines.
The idea being that I'd periodically walk over to the linux box, pop in
a new tape and feel secure that I've always got a current back-up of
all my systems.

So the question is: is this a realistic prospect? What will I need to
mount the drives from the Wintel and Mac boxes? What back-up software
(and tape drive) is recommended for this sort of scenario (I really
want the back-up to be as self-sufficient as possible and be able to
deal with scenarios like locked files on the remote systems or the
remote systems being completely inaccessible (the Mac is usually kept
powered off & is set to shut down at 3am daily if I leave it on
overnight).

-vp

--
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. xdm and XFree86-4.0

3. automated script for remote logins?

4. Linux for Begginers Book Recomendation

5. I want to execute a script with parameter by rsh on a remote machine.

6. Need national ISP

7. Executing a shell script on a remote machine

8. How to write a minimal linux Shell?

9. Virtual Desktop on remote Windows machine?

10. run local shell script on remote machine

11. RH 7 and Remote Xsessions on Windows Machines

12. Remote file service to Windows machines ?

13. Running xdm/window manager on remote machine