ip masquerading and icq

Post by Chris En » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hello all,

i have a machine set up with redhat 5.1, kernel 2.0.35 running
ip masquerading.  just about every application i use (web, ftp,
telnet, realaudio, aol instant messenger, etc) has worked fine
without any intervention on my part.

icq ALMOST works.  it connects, i can send and receive messages
from people (haven't tried it with files yet), but it refuses
to allow me to use the chat feature!  it just times out waiting
for the other party to respond.  or vice versa.  has anybody
experienced this problem or found a way to fix it?

do i need to use ipautofw?  i have read a lot of pages that
say you have to install ipautofw to do a lot of the things that
i can already do without it, so i thought maybe the ip masq
support in newer kernels made ipautofw obsolete.

any help would be appreciated (please cc to my e-mail if at

thanks,
chris

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Paul » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> hello all,

> i have a machine set up with redhat 5.1, kernel 2.0.35 running
> ip masquerading.  just about every application i use (web, ftp,
> telnet, realaudio, aol instant messenger, etc) has worked fine
> without any intervention on my part.

> icq ALMOST works.  it connects, i can send and receive messages
> from people (haven't tried it with files yet), but it refuses
> to allow me to use the chat feature!  it just times out waiting
> for the other party to respond.  or vice versa.  has anybody
> experienced this problem or found a way to fix it?

> do i need to use ipautofw?  i have read a lot of pages that
> say you have to install ipautofw to do a lot of the things that
> i can already do without it, so i thought maybe the ip masq
> support in newer kernels made ipautofw obsolete.

> any help would be appreciated (please cc to my e-mail if at

> thanks,
> chris

Yeah, you have to use ipautofw to forward some ports to your windows box for ICQ.
I think ICQ wants at least 11 ports (could be 7, I forget). You can find out when
you setup ICQ to use the ports you have assigned it. If you need more info / help,
feel free to ask me.

Paul Laufer

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Andrew M. Petal » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > icq ALMOST works.  it connects, i can send and receive messages
> > from people (haven't tried it with files yet), but it refuses
> > to allow me to use the chat feature!  it just times out waiting
> > for the other party to respond.  or vice versa.  has anybody
> > experienced this problem or found a way to fix it?

> > do i need to use ipautofw?  i have read a lot of pages that
> > say you have to install ipautofw to do a lot of the things that
> > i can already do without it, so i thought maybe the ip masq
> > support in newer kernels made ipautofw obsolete.

> > any help would be appreciated (please cc to my e-mail if at

> Yeah, you have to use ipautofw to forward some ports to your windows box for ICQ.
> I think ICQ wants at least 11 ports (could be 7, I forget). You can find out when
> you setup ICQ to use the ports you have assigned it. If you need more info / help,
> feel free to ask me.

Actually, all you have to do is configure your ICQ to go through your
inux box as a firewall. You can get to it by choosing:
Preferences, Connection and click on LAN connection, firewall. No socks
server or anything.

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Mike Patterso » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

If both users are behind a firewall, then I don't think chat or file transfers will
work.  (Unless there is a socks proxy for Linux?  I haven't tried looking for one yet.)

I have been trying to use ipautofw myself, and every time I get the message:
  setsockopt: Protocol not available
This happens no matter what options I try.  Anyone know what might be causing this?
Also, ip masq modules are complaining of unresolved symbols.  I haven't been able to
test if the modules are working.  (I'm using Red Hat 5.2--2.0.36 kernel, if that makes a
difference.)

--
Mike Patterson

> Actually, all you have to do is configure your ICQ to go through your
> inux box as a firewall. You can get to it by choosing:
> Preferences, Connection and click on LAN connection, firewall. No socks
> server or anything.

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Rogers New » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem... finally I just told ICQ that I didn't have a SOCKS
proxy... and what do you know? Work first time I tried it :)

-Brill

> [...]

>hello all,

>i have a machine set up with redhat 5.1, kernel 2.0.35 running
>ip masquerading.  just about every application i use (web, ftp,
>telnet, realaudio, aol instant messenger, etc) has worked fine
>without any intervention on my part.

>icq ALMOST works.  it connects, i can send and receive messages
>from people (haven't tried it with files yet), but it refuses
>to allow me to use the chat feature!  it just times out waiting
>for the other party to respond.  or vice versa.  has anybody
>experienced this problem or found a way to fix it?

>do i need to use ipautofw?  i have read a lot of pages that
>say you have to install ipautofw to do a lot of the things that
>i can already do without it, so i thought maybe the ip masq
>support in newer kernels made ipautofw obsolete.

>any help would be appreciated (please cc to my e-mail if at

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Juergen Kapfhame » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem with ipautofw. Just recompiled the kernel and set ipautofw on under
networking options. Then it worked.

> If both users are behind a firewall, then I don't think chat or file transfers will
> work.  (Unless there is a socks proxy for Linux?  I haven't tried looking for one yet.)

> I have been trying to use ipautofw myself, and every time I get the message:
>   setsockopt: Protocol not available
> This happens no matter what options I try.  Anyone know what might be causing this?
> Also, ip masq modules are complaining of unresolved symbols.  I haven't been able to
> test if the modules are working.  (I'm using Red Hat 5.2--2.0.36 kernel, if that makes a
> difference.)

> --
> Mike Patterson

> > Actually, all you have to do is configure your ICQ to go through your
> > inux box as a firewall. You can get to it by choosing:
> > Preferences, Connection and click on LAN connection, firewall. No socks
> > server or anything.

ip masquerading and icq

Post by Mike Patterso » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have had ipautofw set every time I recompiled the kernel, though...are there any other
settings that need to be on, or off, as well?

--
Mike Patterson

> I had the same problem with ipautofw. Just recompiled the kernel and set ipautofw on under
> networking options. Then it worked.

> > I have been trying to use ipautofw myself, and every time I get the message:
> >   setsockopt: Protocol not available
> > This happens no matter what options I try.  Anyone know what might be causing this?
> > Also, ip masq modules are complaining of unresolved symbols.  I haven't been able to
> > test if the modules are working.  (I'm using Red Hat 5.2--2.0.36 kernel, if that makes a
> > difference.)

1. ip masquerading & icq

Has anybody tried using ICQ over a network using IP Masquerading between
you & the internet? Do any special modules need to be inserted? Or has
this never been done & I need to write my own IP Masquerading module?

Thanks in advance ...

Eric

2. SCO 5 License Manager

3. ICQ IP Masquerading

4. sendmail+IDA probs: needs TCP/IP support?

5. ICQ over IP Masquerading?

6. Any one success with: PAS16 Sound Card with CDR-H93MV CD-ROM

7. IP Masquerade with ICQ

8. running quake2 server

9. With IP masquerading on my server, how do I map ICQ ports

10. IP Masquerading + ICQ?

11. ICQ and IP Masquerading with ipfwadm

12. ICQ and IP masquerading..

13. IP Masquerade, Port Forwarding ICQ