Iptables and slow Internet connection

Post by Mark » Tue, 07 Aug 2007 19:24:06

Recently I have been experiencing a slow connection to the Internet. I
have an ADSL connection 1500/256 with iptables running, which, I suspect
is causing the slowdown.

Typically I get ping times of about 2000 ms, and something like 20%
packet loss, though both are highly variable. If I turn off iptables,
then I get speeds like 200-250 ms, and much lower packet loss.

I suspect, but am certainly not sure, that this started to happen when I
used Webmin to turn on bandwith monitoring, which I have since turned
off. There seem to be a few residual changes in my configurations.

Is there anything I can look at?

Thanks,

Mark

Iptables and slow Internet connection

Post by Balwinder S Dheema » Wed, 08 Aug 2007 05:31:00

Quote:> Recently I have been experiencing a slow connection to the Internet. I
> have an ADSL connection 1500/256 with iptables running, which, I suspect
> is causing the slowdown.

> Typically I get ping times of about 2000 ms, and something like 20%
> packet loss, though both are highly variable. If I turn off iptables,
> then I get speeds like 200-250 ms, and much lower packet loss.

> I suspect, but am certainly not sure, that this started to happen when I
> used Webmin to turn on bandwith monitoring, which I have since turned
> off. There seem to be a few residual changes in my configurations.

> Is there anything I can look at?

Yep, you need to try recalling and, or reversing every thing you did in
a haste.

The rule of thumb is -- do one change at time and do it carefully.

And that webmin-sebmin and, or other GUI tools never tell you what they
are doing in the background; that's why most sysadmin people love CLI
and, or hand-editing all the config files. I have a bunch of helpful
notes and, or comments here in our config files; which will be there to
assist me in the years to come.

--
Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman          Registered Linux User: #229709

Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India         Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/  Visit: http://counter.li.org/

1. iptables connection slow

Hi,

I am using iptables-1.2.6a+Redhat+kernel-2.18 as my linux box DMZ firewall,
it works interesting.  But my question is that the connection seems slow.
Sometimes the client seems just can't get connected to the internet, but it
actually is.
Would anyone tell me how to speed up the connection?  Thanks in advance.

Jason

2. Solaris 8 and gettext

3. Slow connection on ssh after iptables ...

4. Mylex controllers

5. iptables and masquerading - slow to initiate connection

6. PCI sound cards in FreeBSD

7. Using IPTABLES and NAT to forward Internet connection with Proxy involved

8. How to boot into the Redhat installer

9. iptables, internet connection sharing, Windows: FTP DOESN'T WORK!

10. Damn, my internet connection is slow!

11. Slow Internet connection or sluggishness cause Telnet session timeouts

12. Peculiar slow Internet connections...

13. Shared internet connection slow!