IP masquerading not working, but DNS names resolve

Post by MANiK MiN3 » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Hello all - I'm trying to set up IP masquerading on my Linux box, yet it
>refuses to work from my Win95 clients. I recompiled with all the usual
>options and added the services I needed (only FTP right now) to rc.local.
>(I'm running 2.0.30 kernel)

>DNS names resolve fine, but I can't connect to anything through any
protocol.
>I've set the default gateway on my PC's, yet it won't work for anything
other
>than DNS.  Would my ipfwadm policies be any different since I'm running two
>static IP ethernet cards, versus 1 ethernet and 1 PPP link?  My current
>forwarding policies are like so...

>ipfwadm -F -p deny
>ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

>Yet all I can do is resolve domain names, and nothing else.  The linux box
>can ping and browse (through lynx) the internet and the lan just fine, so I
>know it isn't the problem.  Please help me out here, I'm sure it is
something
>simple.

    How about them route tables ?
    make your default route point to the internet (ppp0 i presume):
    route add -net  default -ppp0
    add a route to your windows host:
    route add -host 192.168.1.whatever -eth0

    I guess we could do this only using ipfwadm but them policies are quite
a headache to setup IMHO.

    Works fine for me !

Post by Vincent Zweij » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

||  ipfwadm -F -p deny
||  ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
                  ^
According to the manual page, the option is "-m", not "m".       Vincent.
--

"Xhost should be taken out and shot."            Vincent Zweije