Interoperating with Solaris 2.5 NIS+ and Redhat 4.1

Interoperating with Solaris 2.5 NIS+ and Redhat 4.1

Post by root » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have just installed Redhat 4.1 (for the first time ever) in the
midst of a sea of Solaris 2.5 machines.  I would very much like for
the Linux machine to be able to share the administrative information
of the Suns, specifically things like the passwd/group maps, and
potentially even the automount maps.

I don't believe that Solaris has NIS+ running in NIS-compatibility
mode.  Is there a way that I can get Linux to do NIS+?

Also, any pointers on getting Linux' automount tool (amd) to work with
maps from Solaris automounter would be approciated.

Thanks!
-cj

Post by Heinrich Rebeh » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have just installed Redhat 4.1 (for the first time ever) in the
> midst of a sea of Solaris 2.5 machines.  I would very much like for
> the Linux machine to be able to share the administrative information
> of the Suns, specifically things like the passwd/group maps, and
> potentially even the automount maps.

> I don't believe that Solaris has NIS+ running in NIS-compatibility
> mode.  Is there a way that I can get Linux to do NIS+?

> Also, any pointers on getting Linux' automount tool (amd) to work with
> maps from Solaris automounter would be approciated.

> Thanks!
> -cj

Have a look into the NIS-HOWTO. There is a NIS+ Client for Linux, which
is called NYS. I have not yet got it to work, if you have succes, please
let me know. We have the same situation (many sparcstations with
solaris 2.5 and some Linux PCs).

Regards

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341

1. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

Has anyone experienced the upgrade process from a Sparc 5 running NIS+,
2.3 to 2.5? The machine in question is the Master Root Server, and the
slave replica is already running 2.5 NIS+.

We're trying to figure out how to upgrade the master to 2.5 and not lose
any of our NIS+ table information, etc.  I'm new to Solaris; have a sub-
stantial amount of experience and formal HP training with the Series 700
HP-UX 8.07/9.01/9.05/10.x operating systems.  Had some exposure to the
old, regular NIS (classroom environment only), but don't know too much
about NIS+ at this point.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a web site or document or FAQ that I
might be able to access to download as a guideline to follow when trying
to tackle this upgrade problem?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks Alot!!

2. Latest Kernel

3. NIS,NIS+ on SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x

4. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH PRINTER SETUP! IM FREAKING OUT HERE!

5. SunPC 4.1 Install on Solaris 2.5

6. More on aXe

7. max files open w/ fopen(), gcc2.7.2, C++ 4.1, solaris 2.5

8. Modem OK, Internet NOT

9. ARP Requests by AIX (3.2.5/4.1) and Solaris 2.5

10. Faking va_list on SUNWspro 4.1/Solaris 2.5

11. Porting a driver from SunOS 4.1 to Solaris 2.5

12. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

13. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?