CSLIP or PPP

Post by David Golpi » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Which provides better throughput, CSLIP or PPP?
Thanks.

CSLIP or PPP

Post by Joel Ka » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Which provides better throughput, CSLIP or PPP?
>Thanks.

        The short answer is it depends. The reality is that their
throughputs are so comparable that throughput is the _last_ consideration
when deciding which to use.

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.*Plus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

CSLIP or PPP

Post by John Phillip » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Which provides better throughput, CSLIP or PPP?

My provider has both CSLIP and PPP access, and I have measured ftp
download speeds using both.

The results are that PPP is on average 1% slower than CSLIP (depending
on file types and on several other circumstances).  The acual speeds
achieved with uncompressible data were all within 5% of the theoretical
maximum obtainable (about 3.2 kbyte/s using a V.34 modem).

I estimate the potential experimental error in this test to be more than
the 1% average difference I see (probably closer to 5%).

Conclusion:  For me, they provide the same speed within the limits of
experimental error.
--
John Phillips

CSLIP or PPP

Post by Bernie Doehn » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Conclusion:  For me, they provide the same speed within the limits of
: experimental error.
: --

As far as I know the only real benefit of running PPP vs. CSLIP is that
PPP is capable of also passing non-tcp/ip packets like Decnet and
Netware.

Bernie

CSLIP or PPP

Post by Steve Farre » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>Which provides better throughput, CSLIP or PPP?

>My provider has both CSLIP and PPP access, and I have measured ftp
>download speeds using both.

>The results are that PPP is on average 1% slower than CSLIP (depending
>on file types and on several other circumstances).  The acual speeds
>achieved with uncompressible data were all within 5% of the theoretical
>maximum obtainable (about 3.2 kbyte/s using a V.34 modem).

>I estimate the potential experimental error in this test to be more than
>the 1% average difference I see (probably closer to 5%).

>Conclusion:  For me, they provide the same speed within the limits of
>experimental error.
>--
>John Phillips

I'm glad to see that people have had these results, but I would suggest
that this is not always the case.  I have noticed about 10-20% faster
results with CSLIP.  It appears to have less overhead.  Also, i thought
any readers of this thread might also do well to be reminded to set
asyncmap 0 in their /etc/ppp/options, as it significantly increases
ppp performance (though i still max at 3.0 w/ppp, and have gotten 3.2
many times with cslip w/ftp.)

--
Stephen Farrell                         The Ben May Institute
The University of Chicago               Image Analysis & Web Admin.

home:312-288-8184            http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/spfarrel

CSLIP or PPP

Post by Joel Ka » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>: Conclusion:  For me, they provide the same speed within the limits of
>: experimental error.
>: --
>As far as I know the only real benefit of running PPP vs. CSLIP is that
>PPP is capable of also passing non-tcp/ip packets like Decnet and
>Netware.

        PPP is more configurable and smarter about negotiating parameters
such as compression and IP addresses. I've heard reports that CSLIP is a
smidgeon faster but that may have a lot to do with the particular
hardware, software, parameters, and type of modems/connections used.

--

Post by Warner Lo » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>    PPP is more configurable and smarter about negotiating parameters
>such as compression and IP addresses. I've heard reports that CSLIP is a
>smidgeon faster but that may have a lot to do with the particular
>hardware, software, parameters, and type of modems/connections used.

In theory, CSLIP will always be faster than PPP.  However, this
difference is going to be very small.  PPP has an overhead of about 4
bytes per packet, while CSLIP has an overhad of 1.  For most people,
the differences will be in the statistical noise (that is, you can't
tell from a sample which one is faster with any degree of statistical
certanty, unless you run something like 100 tests or so).

Chose whichever one gives you the most reliablity.

Warner
--

Makers of TIA, The Internet Adapter.            http://marketplace.com/

1. SLIP, CSLIP or PPP program for SCO Unix

Hello:

I am looking for a SLIP, CSLIP or PPP program for a SCO Unix machine.

What I am trying to do is to dial into the unix box from a PC
running windows and netmanage chamaleon tcp/ip and once logged in
the unix computer, AT the shell level give a command like 'slip' or
'cslip' or 'ppp' (or similar command, that will be send fromthe
login script of netmanage chamaleon tcp/ip) in order to establish the
IP session.

I'd be interested in getting the sources for SCO Unix and, if possible
the binaries as well.

I know SCO Unix has PPP, but it's quite limited and not usable for me
now. I am interested in getting a new program to perform the described
task.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Felipe Barousse.

--

BCM Corporation           | Surface mail, please to:  |Phones: (525) 264-6783
Medellin # 104 4th floor  | P.O. Box 105-336          |        (525) 564-6480

2. Linux Quake3

3. Q) SLIP (or CSLIP) vs PPP which is better ?

4. Supported Platforms for Sol 2.4 X86?

5. SLIP, CSLIP, PPP, which is most r..

6. Fsutil Updated to Version 1.7

7. PPP to ISP and null-modem CSLIP conflict

8. Problems reading linux created ISO CD on Ultra 10

9. SLIP or CSLIP or PPP?

10. PPP+SLiRP OK but CSLIP+SLiRP has display problem

11. Linux CSLIP/PPP via DIP

12. HELP with SLIP/CSLIP/PPP

13. CSLIP/PPP for Sun OS 4.1.3