Hanging on startup at eth0

Post by Carlos Collaz » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:52:14

I have RH7.2 on a laptop with an ethernet adapter and a modem.

If I have it plugged into the network is boots fine.

If I have it at home with the modem, during startup, it hangs for an
incredibly long time trying to activate eth0.

How can I specify how long the bootup sequence for eth0 should wait,
before giving up and continuing with the startup.

/* Carlos */

Hanging on startup at eth0

Post by Bit Twist » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:07:43

> I have RH7.2 on a laptop with an ethernet adapter and a modem.

> If I have it plugged into the network is boots fine.

> If I have it at home with the modem, during startup, it hangs for an
> incredibly long time trying to activate eth0.

> How can I specify how long the bootup sequence for eth0 should wait,
> before giving up and continuing with the startup.

You will have to check the man pages for your dhcpcd client
to see if you can add a switch.

If it is a cable modem you need to power reset the modem
for a minute. A cable modem will only talk to the nic it
saw when the modem was reset.

Hanging on startup at eth0

Post by Ander » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:48:22

> I have RH7.2 on a laptop with an ethernet adapter and a modem.

> If I have it plugged into the network is boots fine.

> If I have it at home with the modem, during startup, it hangs for an
> incredibly long time trying to activate eth0.

> How can I specify how long the bootup sequence for eth0 should wait,
> before giving up and continuing with the startup.

> /* Carlos */

your laptop's eth0 is looking for a dhcp server nearby, asking for an ip
address, untill it got bored :)

then just make the eth0 not to look around, right?

set ONBOOT=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

if you're plugged in a network, just use the 'pump' command to ask for
ip address to any dhcpserver nearby

if you're not allowed to use pump,
then just 'chmod 04755 /sbin/pump'

anyway...hey..the laptop must obey you, right?

hope it helps

cheers,

-anders

1. Linux Mandrake hangs on startup -> eth0

Can anybody recommend any fixes for the following problem, or suggest why
it might be happening:
I have Linux Mandrake 7.1 installed and an Intel 82559 pro 100 network
card in my machine.
Linux hangs during startup whilst trying to load /dev/eth0 ie; My Network
card.
This only happens on about 2 out of every 5 linux boots and it seems to
be totally intermitent.

When it hangs it hangs beyond recovery and I have to power off my
machine using the switch (ie; ctrl, alt delete doesn't work). As a
consequence, when this happens, It usually takes at least one filesystem
down with it, which then has to be repaired manually using fsck.

I have tried turning on/off plug and play options in my BIOS settings
this has no effect.

If anybody has any ideas, I would be most grateful, as I'm getting bored
of running fsck constantly :-(
Jon R

2. zcat

3. Better Solaris 2.5.1 from Sun? (3X FASTER http than normal 2.5.1!)

4. rh7.1: delaying eth0 initialization?? eth0 startup fail?

5. Adic 1200D 48 Gig Dat Changer & Linux

6. need to ifup eth0 after startup

7. Number of licenses ?

8. how to detect eth0 at startup

9. eth0 fails at startup - help!

10. Network Unreachable, eth0 fails on startup

11. RedHat 8 freezes on startup, can't activate eth0!

12. "dhcpcd eth0" gets my LinuxPPC connected, but which startup script should it be in?