Moving processes

Post by frederi » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:37:19

Hello,

I am currently working on an implementation of a Mobile Agent platform. The
agents run in different processes on several host machines in a network.
The agents and thus the processes have to be movable from one host to
another for load balancing purposes.
Does anybody know wether it is possible to capture the state of a running
process, transfer it to another host and restarting it on the other machine
in the same state as it left the first one

Frederik De Backer
student University of Ghent.

Moving processes

Post by Kasper Dupon » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:29:22

> Hello,

> I am currently working on an implementation of a Mobile Agent platform. The
> agents run in different processes on several host machines in a network.
> The agents and thus the processes have to be movable from one host to
> another for load balancing purposes.
> Does anybody know wether it is possible to capture the state of a running
> process, transfer it to another host and restarting it on the other machine
> in the same state as it left the first one

> Frederik De Backer
> student University of Ghent.

That is not trivial, but can be possible. You have to make a
routine to run through your memory mappings and save anything
that is not automatically saved to files. You have to run
through open files and save fd, name and flags. If the program
uses other resources you have to do something about them as
well. Encapsulating all resources in a library can make this
easier.

--
Kasper Dupont

Moving processes

Post by Derek M. Fly » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:48:39

> I am currently working on an implementation of a Mobile Agent platform. The
> agents run in different processes on several host machines in a network.
> The agents and thus the processes have to be movable from one host to
> another for load balancing purposes.
> Does anybody know wether it is possible to capture the state of a running
> process, transfer it to another host and restarting it on the other machine
> in the same state as it left the first one

Look at the work being done by the Condor project at:

  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

In addition, they wrote an article that you might try to find:

  "Checkpointing and Migration of UNIX Processes in the Condor Distributed
   Processing System" Dr Dobbs Journal, February 1995

Moving processes

Post by Robert Hofne » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:34:05

Look at the Mosix project.

Robert

> > I am currently working on an implementation of a Mobile Agent platform. The
> > agents run in different processes on several host machines in a network.
> > The agents and thus the processes have to be movable from one host to
> > another for load balancing purposes.
> > Does anybody know wether it is possible to capture the state of a running
> > process, transfer it to another host and restarting it on the other machine
> > in the same state as it left the first one

> Look at the work being done by the Condor project at:

>   http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

> In addition, they wrote an article that you might try to find:

>   "Checkpointing and Migration of UNIX Processes in the Condor Distributed
>    Processing System" Dr Dobbs Journal, February 1995

Moving processes

Post by Malcolm Cow » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:48:47

I guess you could look at a persistent memory mechanism for saving the
state of the application while it is migrated to the new node. If the
process has its data structures mirrored to disk, say, then you could
move both application and data to the new node and restart. I've been
looking at Coldstore (http://coldstore.sourceforge.net/), but don't
really have an application for it (yet). It works by mmapping data from
memory to disk -- you could adapt that mechanism to work with a DBMS as
well, if you do not want to be dependent on Coldstore itself.

Might be interesting, especially in conjunction with a MOSIX-like
cluster.

--
Malcolm Cowe.

Agilent Technologies Ltd.       External: +44 131 331 6466
South Queensferry, EH30 9TG.    Telnet: 313-3466

> Look at the Mosix project.

> Robert

> > > I am currently working on an implementation of a Mobile Agent platform. The
> > > agents run in different processes on several host machines in a network.
> > > The agents and thus the processes have to be movable from one host to
> > > another for load balancing purposes.
> > > Does anybody know wether it is possible to capture the state of a running
> > > process, transfer it to another host and restarting it on the other machine
> > > in the same state as it left the first one

> > Look at the work being done by the Condor project at:

> >   http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

> > In addition, they wrote an article that you might try to find:

> >   "Checkpointing and Migration of UNIX Processes in the Condor Distributed
> >    Processing System" Dr Dobbs Journal, February 1995

1. How to move a running process from one computer to another

Hi folks,

I need to move a running process from one SUN-Sparc machine to another. Both
machine are exactly the same and can access all the required filed.

I was thinking to dump a core in one way or another (by using signals, for
example) then start the process on another machine using the generated core
file to continue execution from the point where the programm was stopped in
first place.

Unfortunately I do not know how to continue execution based on core dump.
Any ideas and suggestions???

Leo
--

2. Help!! Please help a newbie

3. Moving files from windows to linux corrupts in process...

4. Apache: CGI freezes

5. Moving a process to another terminal

7. process moves from cpu to cpu?

8. realtek 8139 NIC moudule

9. Moving a process group into the backgroud on Solaris 2.3

10. Moving a process between machines.

11. How to Kill Process and Its sub-process and its sub-process??

12. Windows 2000 NOT moving into the household moving business

13. Secret Basketball Moves (New Moves 11)