ftp Proxy help needed

Post by Dave Robert » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:39:56

Hi

I am fairly new to Linux and Networking and would appreciate some advice on
good ways to tackle the following.

I have access to a dedicated linux server which I want to open up to the
hosting of a few web sites for some charitable organisations. I can give
them free hosting but cannot give direct FTP access. I intend to tackle this
by setting up a second box which runs just an FTP server and uses a chron
job every minute to check which files have changed and then use SCP to
transfer them securely to the webserver or alternatively use an FTP client
on the webserver to fetch the files from the FTP server.

I am new to Shell scripting and would appreciate some help or pointers for
writing the BASH script that will do this and also any comments on the
above.

best wishe

Dave

1. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

for a unix ftp client that works through MS proxies, even with NTLM
authentication, go to this link...
  http://unix.about.com/cs/appsftp/
on the link above, 'curl' and 'lftp' seem to be teh best two i've ever
used, but be warned that curl will require openssl libraries as well
as zlib libraries.

you might also get errors with ld.so.1 or something such as this...
    ld.so.1: fatal
    No such file or directory
    ImportError: ld.so.1
if you get this kiind of error, then search groups.google.com for my
explanation on this kind of Nasty error which has fooled/beaten many a
rookie.

for NTLM authentication (MS Proxy Firewall or MS ISA Firewall), get on
www.sourceforge.net and look for 'NTLM Proxy Authentication' and then
find a program called (i think the program is called 'aps' it's
written by Dmitry Rozmanov) download it and configure it for your MS
Proxy/ISA Firewall. it might require the python intepreter, download
the python intepreter if you DON'T already have it. be patient,
everything will eventually work for you once you've read all the
manuals.
Moses Motlhale - Solutions Architect
24th Century Solutions, South Africa.

2. problem with Disksuite on Solaris 2.6 / UltraSparc5

3. Need help from public http/ftp proxy sites -- to defeat tyrany

4. I'm Looking for a advice

5. Need help on ftp thru proxy

6. (C++ > C) = Red Herring?

7. Help Linux ftp client (and .netrc) with NT ftp proxy

8. Segmentation Faults??

9. Need a FTP proxy server for FreeBSD 3.0!!!

10. Advice needed for network planning (Firewall, Proxy, DNS, DHCP, SMB, FTP, HTTP, SSH, VPN)

11. suse proxy-suite (ftp-proxy)

12. How to connect to an FTP through an FTP-Proxy.

13. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?