Disabling name resolution on login

Post by Marc Johnso » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:25:09

I have a Linux box that serves as a shell server for many users.  I would
like to turn OFF the DNS name resolution when a user logs in.  In other
words, I would like the output of w, finger, and other commands to show
the IP address instead of the hostname.

Anybody know of a way to do this?

Thanks,

--marc

Disabling name resolution on login

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:49:48

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a Linux box that serves as a shell server for many users.  I would
> like to turn OFF the DNS name resolution when a user logs in.  In other
> words, I would like the output of w, finger, and other commands to show
> the IP address instead of the hostname.

> Anybody know of a way to do this?

It actually isn't that easy to do.  The only time that the IP addresses appear
in the "w","finger" and other related logs is when the system is unable to
actually resolve IPs into hostnames.  The only possible way I could think of
doing this, would be not to provide a domain name server to your box.  The
only catch is that you would have to reference everything on your box as a IP
address.

Any particular reason why you want to see the IP addresses recorded rather
than the hostnames ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. How to disable reverse name resolution

Dear all,

I am using Linux RH6.2 in my office.
Any one know that how can I disable the reverse host name resolution, since
it need to
wait for long time response for telnet into the Linux box.

Provided that I don't have a DNS in our office, and I don't want to enter
over 200 IP address
in the host table of the Linux box.

Many thanks,

Y W Wong

2. SMBMount Permissions?

3. BIND Name resolution & the NAMED.CA file

4. 4.3 Upgrade problem

5. Help: Very slow name resolution on AIX 4.3.2 with name server

6. blocking viruses

7. BIND Name resolution & the NAMED.CA file (and an apology)

8. RT 6150-135 / AIX 2.2.1 info needed

9. Name resolution for local names using DHCP

10. named and name resolution

11. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

12. getting users login name after login from server

13. How do I get sendmail to use my real name in stead of my login name