LEGAL or NOT LEGAL ?

Post by QCT » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Dear Linux user,

I plan to build an internet server using linux. My server will have 3
dialin modems and one dial out. My family and my poor friends will use
their computers to dial into my server for connect to internet. I have a
normal dynamic ip account with  my ISP.

Question :
- If I do my plan, do I make a legal plan ?
- If not legal, Where I can get a permit ?
- This plan is base on free, but If they want to help me to pay phone
line cost, can I accept their money ?

I am living in U.S. I don't know about law. Could some one help me.
Thank you very much !!

QCT

LEGAL or NOT LEGAL ?

Post by Boognis » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm not a lawer, but you can do whatever you want with your phone lines.  Of
course if you are using it to plan and execute some illegal acts then this
will be a different matter.

>Dear Linux user,

>I plan to build an internet server using linux. My server will have 3
>dialin modems and one dial out. My family and my poor friends will use
>their computers to dial into my server for connect to internet. I have a
>normal dynamic ip account with  my ISP.

>Question :
>- If I do my plan, do I make a legal plan ?
>- If not legal, Where I can get a permit ?
>- This plan is base on free, but If they want to help me to pay phone
>line cost, can I accept their money ?

>I am living in U.S. I don't know about law. Could some one help me.
>Thank you very much !!

>QCT

LEGAL or NOT LEGAL ?

Post by Christopher T Wallac » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

QTC:

Be careful.  Contact your ISP and make sure this does not violate your user
agreement. (or, better, read  and understand your Terms of Service agreement for
yourself)  I used to work for an ISP (I will not name them)  who explicitly
forbade sub-leasing lines like you describe here.

Cable Modem dealers / Service providers are especially wary of people running
servers off of leased service, unless the "permission" is explicitly granted.

Just my $0.02  ($9.75 w/tax)

-Chris

_________________________
None of my posts reflect any opinions whatsoever - Especially My Own!

> I'm not a lawer, but you can do whatever you want with your phone lines.  Of
> course if you are using it to plan and execute some illegal acts then this
> will be a different matter.

> >Dear Linux user,

> >I plan to build an internet server using linux. My server will have 3
> >dialin modems and one dial out. My family and my poor friends will use
> >their computers to dial into my server for connect to internet. I have a
> >normal dynamic ip account with  my ISP.

> >Question :
> >- If I do my plan, do I make a legal plan ?
> >- If not legal, Where I can get a permit ?
> >- This plan is base on free, but If they want to help me to pay phone
> >line cost, can I accept their money ?

> >I am living in U.S. I don't know about law. Could some one help me.
> >Thank you very much !!

> >QCT

LEGAL or NOT LEGAL ?

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[NOTE FollowUp-To: header]

[posted & mailed]

>Dear Linux user,
>I plan to build an internet server using linux. My server will have 3
>dialin modems and one dial out. My family and my poor friends will use
>their computers to dial into my server for connect to internet. I have a
>normal dynamic ip account with  my ISP.

So far , so good.

Quote:>Question :
>- If I do my plan, do I make a legal plan ?

Depends. Setting up your system as a server is perfectly "legal" .
However, sharing your ISP dialup-account for a whole network of machines
probablky isn't . You'll have to check the fineprint of your user agreement
to find out whether or not your ISP does allow this.

Quote:>- If not legal, Where I can get a permit ?

See above.

Quote:>- This plan is base on free, but If they want to help me to pay phone
>line cost, can I accept their money ?

Sure.

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

LEGAL or NOT LEGAL ?

Post by bill davids » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

| Dear Linux user,
|
| I plan to build an internet server using linux. My server will have 3
| dialin modems and one dial out. My family and my poor friends will use
| their computers to dial into my server for connect to internet. I have a
| normal dynamic ip account with  my ISP.
|
| Question :
| - If I do my plan, do I make a legal plan ?

It is probably legal, but may be in violation of contract. Most ISPs
don't let you provide interactive connections, although mail forwarding
and the like is usually not forbidden.

| - If not legal, Where I can get a permit ?
| - This plan is base on free, but If they want to help me to pay phone
| line cost, can I accept their money ?

If you accept money you are then reselling the service, becoming an ISP,
etc. I wouldn't, one hassle would cost more than the savings. Note that
the _Digital Millenium Copyright Act_ requires registration unless you
want to be personally liable for anything your "customers" do.

--

 The young confuse living a long time with getting old,
 the old confuse age with maturity.

1. Do not use Caldera Linux (SCO being legal twits)

For anyone who is using Caldera Linux or is considering Caldera Linux,
please reconsider.  Caldera's company has decided to sue IBM over code
which IBM is contributing to the Linux kernel.

The full scoop is here:

        http://news.com.com/2100-1016-991464.html?tag=fd_top

Relevent quotes:

        SCO Group, inheritor of the intellectual property for the
        Unix operating system, has sued IBM for more than $1 billion,
        alleging Big Blue misappropriated SCO's Unix technology and
        built it into Linux.

        [...]

        Analysts saw the move as a desperate one for SCO, a company that
        hasn't been profitable in its current incarnation.

        "It's a fairly end-of-life move for the stockholders and managers
        of that company," said Jonathan Eunice, an Illuminata analyst.

- Sam

--
My email address may be obtained at http://www.samiam.org/ssi/mailme.shtml

2. X is installed ... now what?

3. GNU 'infection' (was re: legal or not)

4. detailed traffic-monitoring

5. Something not legal

6. Outgoing mail problem...

7. Legal HACMP Config?

8. HELP w/HTAccess

9. preparing dual/boot 4 end user, where to get legal win95 for it

10. Legal Question (License violations)

11. statically linking in libc5 - legal????

12. Antitrust legal beagles suing MS and DoJ

13. Legal anti- Nimda / Code Red