Linux TCP/IP with PCMCIA 10base-T?

Post by Justin (G » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi. I am planning on repartitioning my notebook's 340meg HD and installing
LINUX on it (my school next year uses TCP/IP and mainly UNIX/LINUX). I have a
type 3 PCMCIA card slot w/ a type 2 PCMCIA 10base-2 and T (combo card)
adaptor. I want to be able to use TCP/IP with LINUX via my PCMCIA network card
on my notebook. Any ideas?

Linux TCP/IP with PCMCIA 10base-T?

Post by Michael Owin » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Get the pcmcia support package for linux from sunsite.unc.edu (or a
mirror thereof).  You might want to check and see if your card type is
supported first,  though.  There should be a file called SUPPORTED.CARDS
with a list.  I use the DLink 650 and have had excellent results.

: Hi. I am planning on repartitioning my notebook's 340meg HD and installing
: LINUX on it (my school next year uses TCP/IP and mainly UNIX/LINUX). I have a
: type 3 PCMCIA card slot w/ a type 2 PCMCIA 10base-2 and T (combo card)
: adaptor. I want to be able to use TCP/IP with LINUX via my PCMCIA network card
: on my notebook. Any ideas?

1. 10base-T and 10base 2 interconnecting

        Before one just says add a 4 or 8 port 10baseT Hub with
10base2 BNC support. I have some questions
        Right now my Lan consists of two machines. both are Linux
based 486 boxes. Both are using Artisoft AE/2C cards connected via
Coax. I have a 3rd that a friend wants. but I am out of 10base2
Network cards? all I have left are Intel Etherexpresss 8/16 cards with
10 base T connections. I am also considering a DSL or cable modem
if/when I get job.
        Being that 10base-t is a star topoligy and 10base2 is a buss
topoligy. What do I REALLY gain by going 10baseT? I don't want to
have zillions of cables going all over the place! Could I plug a hub
into my livingroom machines using 10base2 and a hub in my bedrom using
10base2. The 10base2 would be the backbone cable.
        What are the real advantages to 10baseT when all of the
computers are next to each other? Wouldn't 10base2's buss type
topoligy be a better choice? I don't have much vision (legally Blind)
and somehow  wiring 10baseT cables sounds like a real difficult
project for one on a fixed budget, and little eyesight.
        is there a FAQ on this topic? I know it is not Linux Specific
but this is a Linux related Networking question as it is the hardware
that gets packets from here to there.
        Any good suppliers for inexpensive 10base2 connectors and
terminators? How about 10base2 computer add-ons? Wallplates?
        Just for the hell of it. Can 10base2 be used in a star
topoligy is terminators were on all legs of the star?

--

                        B'ichela

2. suggestion for nice Linux distribution for desktop?

3. Linux compat. Ethernet card & 10Base-T

4. hosts.deny / hosts.allow SunOS 4.1.4 ?

5. Help with 10Base-T Linux Network!!!

6. Product Annoucement

7. @home and 10Base-T--anyone using this combo with linux?

8. Socks5 with linux-2.0.33 (won't compile)

9. SMC9432TX Etherpower II 10/100 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX

10. IBM Etherjet ISA Card (10Base-T)

11. Driver for SMC's 91C92 (10Base-T)

12. 3c90x problem with 10base-T

13. Drivers for Acer/Aopen ALN-201 10Base-T PCI NIC Card?