RX-ERR and RX-DROP

Post by Doug C » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I've suddenly begun having some severe lag problems on my server.
We recently had an unprotected power failure which may be the cause,
but I can't be sure.

The only evidence I can see is a rise in RX-ERR and RX-DROP packets
from `netstat -i` but no rise in TX-ERR or TX-DROP at all.

Does anyone know what these symptoms mean?  Logging in directly to
the server shows absolutely no lag, so it probably can't be a
kernel misconfiguration.  I think it may be the the upstream router
but I'm not sure.  Perhaps its my network card going dead?

        -Doug

1. 3c905 100Mbps: RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR?

Hi,

I have really strange effects using the 3c905 with the new 3c59x.c driver.

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c59x.c
line 725: vp->full_bus_master_tx = 0;
The cards didn't work at all without this patch.
At boot time, the Pacing bug is detected so busmastering isn't enabled.

I am administrating an 100Mbps net with several Dual PPro 200MHz (2.0.30)
and some SGI O2. At first, the only problem was that a copy O2->PPro caused
many RX-OVR on the PPro and bad performance (250KBps), while the other
direction worked fine (5,6MBps).

Then I tested the tcp connection between the PPros (with ttcp). Some
connections worked fine (5,6MBps), others also caused some RX-OVR (visible
by 'netstat -i') and bad performance (in this case: 2,5MBps). The strange
thing is that all the PPros are equally equipped (hardware and software).

I tried a lot of things (reconfigured the kernel of the O2 with small buffers
etc, changed some of the network options on the PPro, eg. 'optimize as router
not host', 'PC/TCP compatibility mode', 'Disable Path MTU Discovery', disabled
'Allow large windows') but nothing changed this effect.

The only workaround by now is to reduce the rsize and wsize of mounts (O2->PPro
is 2560 now). But this doesn't effect ftp transfers.

What is responsible for these strange RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR effects? Is there
still a bug in the 3c900.c:v0.40 4/16/97 driver?

Thanks for any hint.
T.B.

2. gtk-engines-0.10 compiles with ccc

3. eth0 RX-ERR?

4. Accessing 32 bit access on VLB hard disk controller

5. Dropped RX Packets on Interface ppp0

6. 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.13

7. /kernel: xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!

8. Connections timing out

9. Setting up sync wan card - rx packet dropped

10. dropped RX packets..how do I troubleshoot?

11. Dropping RX packets on eth0

12. ppp: dropped frames on RX

13. Dropped RX packets ... help needed.