3c59x using IRQ 0, how to change?

Post by Jaso » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything and
can't ping the box from another pc.
Looking at the /var/log/messages, when it loads the Cyclone driver for my
3com Fast Etherlink XL PCI, it says "might not work on IRQ=0" and it does
try IRQ 0. How do I change it to IRQ 11 (which is what I think it should
be)?

Probably a easy programming answer.

Thanks,

Jason

3c59x using IRQ 0, how to change?

Post by Doug Holt » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Jason;

Go to 3Com web site and get the utlity that identifies the nic and tells you
what address and IRQ it is currently set at.

Then boot linux and run netconfig and set the nic settings accordingly.

Doug

Quote:> I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything and

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything and
>can't ping the box from another pc.
>Looking at the /var/log/messages, when it loads the Cyclone driver for my
>3com Fast Etherlink XL PCI, it says "might not work on IRQ=0" and it does
>try IRQ 0. How do I change it to IRQ 11 (which is what I think it should
>be)?

It's the BIOS that sets the IRQ for PCI cards.  You don't set it directly
(and the driver gives you no way to do so).

Check your BIOS settings (I'm not sure what to look for, frankly, but maybe
it will pop out at you).

You could try specifying

linux pci=reverse

at the LILO: prompt (reverse scans the PCI bus). The BootPrompt HOWTO lists
a few more pci options.

You can also try moving the card to a different PCI slot.

Another thing to try is a later version of the driver.  An easy way to do
this is upgrade to the kernel 2.2.16-3 rpm from

http://www.redhat.com/errata

(Installing a kernel rpm involves more than installing just the rpm itself.
See the instructions there.)

See http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html for more info on these cards.

If you want to compile the driver from source at this site, you need to get
a couple .h files that are in the same ftp directory.

Dave Cook

Post by extern.patrick.them.. » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything
and
> >can't ping the box from another pc.
> >Looking at the /var/log/messages, when it loads the Cyclone driver
for my
> >3com Fast Etherlink XL PCI, it says "might not work on IRQ=0" and it
does
> >try IRQ 0. How do I change it to IRQ 11 (which is what I think it
should
> >be)?

> It's the BIOS that sets the IRQ for PCI cards.  You don't set it
directly
> (and the driver gives you no way to do so).

> Check your BIOS settings (I'm not sure what to look for, frankly, but
maybe
> it will pop out at you).

theres one very simple thing thats almost certainly the cause of your
problem:
your bios has a setting PNP-OS= YES.
this would leave the irq setting to the os (like win9x)
linux definitely is *not* pnp.
so find that setting,
change it to pnp = no

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

3c59x using IRQ 0, how to change?

Post by NNTP Earthlin » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

thanks, that's what it was!!

> > >I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything
> and
> > >can't ping the box from another pc.
> > >Looking at the /var/log/messages, when it loads the Cyclone driver
> for my
> > >3com Fast Etherlink XL PCI, it says "might not work on IRQ=0" and it
> does
> > >try IRQ 0. How do I change it to IRQ 11 (which is what I think it
> should
> > >be)?

> > It's the BIOS that sets the IRQ for PCI cards.  You don't set it
> directly
> > (and the driver gives you no way to do so).

> > Check your BIOS settings (I'm not sure what to look for, frankly, but
> maybe
> > it will pop out at you).

> theres one very simple thing thats almost certainly the cause of your
> problem:
> your bios has a setting PNP-OS= YES.
> this would leave the irq setting to the os (like win9x)
> linux definitely is *not* pnp.
> so find that setting,
> change it to pnp = no

> --
> '...' said the joker to the thief
> 'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...
> so let us not talk falsely now, the hour's getting late'
> (robert zimmermann)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. 3c59x using IRQ 0, how to change?

I can't get my LInux  6.2 to get on the network. Can't ping anything and
can't ping the box from another pc.
Looking at the /var/log/messages, when it loads the Cyclone driver for my
3com Fast Etherlink XL PCI, it says "might not work on IRQ=0" and it does
try IRQ 0. How do I change it to IRQ 11 (which is what I think it should
be)?

Probably a easy programming answer.

Thanks,

Jason

2. 98lite, just bought it

3. linux opstarten op pc

4. How changing ttyS2 fro IRQ 2 to IRQ 9

5. Printer Daemon not found!

6. Can I change the IRQ that AGP graphics card uses?

7. dtterm keyboard mapping solaris2.5.1 <> solaris7

8. Eth0, an 3c59x vortex gets irq=255

9. using setserial to change irq on serial port

10. PLIP IRQ problem : How can I know which IRQ's are used, whith wich devices ?

11. 3c59x driver with VLAN support -- kernel 2.6.x, vlan802.1q, driver 3c59x.c

12. Dell, 3c59x, and RH 4.0 (was Re: Newbie : 3c59x and RH 3.03 *Nothing* works)