NFS problems

Post by Sysprog BA » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:13:41

Hi all,

Im having a problem using NFS. On my linux (RH7.2) server I export the /home
directory. I mount these directoires during startup on my linux clients in
/home using NFS. This seems to work fine. However, after some time the
client seems to hang when it tries to use the nfs mounted directories (on
the client). When I do (as root) a df command, the command seems to hang
when it is at the point of displaying the nfs mounted dir.
    Someone advised me to do this via autofs, but the problem remained the
same. The whole thing (client and server) uses NIS to do user auth.

What am I missing here?

TIA

Wilco

NFS problems

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:09:50

Quote:> Hi all,

> Im having a problem using NFS. On my linux (RH7.2) server I export the
/home
> directory. I mount these directoires during startup on my linux clients in
> /home using NFS. This seems to work fine. However, after some time the
> client seems to hang when it tries to use the nfs mounted directories (on
> the client). When I do (as root) a df command, the command seems to hang
> when it is at the point of displaying the nfs mounted dir.
>     Someone advised me to do this via autofs, but the problem remained the
> same. The whole thing (client and server) uses NIS to do user auth.

> What am I missing here?

> TIA

> Wilco

Are you turning off clients without unmounting things?

NFS is famous for problems in environments where the clients and servers pop
up and down: the "stateless" aspect of it makes things wait while the server
decides whether or not all the clients have done whatever they were doing
last with the mountpoints and files in them, and the timeouts are *long* and
unreliable.

Consider going to AFS if you can, and short of this be prepared to un-export
and re-export your mount points when this happens, and remount them on the
clients (basically done hby autofs if you need that, avoid am-utils!).

NFS problems

Post by Sysprog BA » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:38:57

> > Hi all,

> > Im having a problem using NFS. On my linux (RH7.2) server I export the
> /home
> > directory. I mount these directoires during startup on my linux clients
in
> > /home using NFS. This seems to work fine. However, after some time the
> > client seems to hang when it tries to use the nfs mounted directories
(on
> > the client). When I do (as root) a df command, the command seems to hang
> > when it is at the point of displaying the nfs mounted dir.
> >     Someone advised me to do this via autofs, but the problem remained
the
> > same. The whole thing (client and server) uses NIS to do user auth.

> > What am I missing here?

> > TIA

> > Wilco

> Are you turning off clients without unmounting things?

No, I take the clients down normally, that is: shutdown -h now (or poweroff)
It then tries to unmount everything including the nfs mounts....

Quote:

Post by Bj?rn Tore Sun » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:03:48

>  Hi all,

>  Im having a problem using NFS. On my linux (RH7.2) server I export the /home
>  directory. I mount these directoires during startup on my linux clients in
>  /home using NFS. This seems to work fine. However, after some time the
>  client seems to hang when it tries to use the nfs mounted directories (on
>  the client). When I do (as root) a df command, the command seems to hang
>  when it is at the point of displaying the nfs mounted dir.
>      Someone advised me to do this via autofs, but the problem remained the
>  same. The whole thing (client and server) uses NIS to do user auth.

This is behaviour I'd expect so see with a server running IDE
disks and more than two or three clients mounting and working
on the disk at the same time...

What is your hardware?

Bj?rn
--
Bj?rn Tore Sund                  "When in fear, and when in doubt;
                                  Run in circles, scream and shout!"

1. NFS Problems... "Unknown NFS client"

Hi!

I have just installed Slackware 2.3 and I'm trying to use NFS
with a Sun.

I can mount drives on the Sun, but the Sun can't mount drives on my
Linux box. I have stripped the /etc/exports file to include only:

/usr/local    *.my.domain(ro)

Yet, I receive messages like this in the syslog on the Linux box:

mount[49]: Unknown NFS client 191.214.xxx.yyy tried to access /usr/local

I have DNS working, and I have tried to put the Sun in my /etc/hosts
file to no avail...

Anyone know what could be wrong?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
   Fredrik Lindgren

2. swapon: device busy

3. NFS problems with PC/TCP's NFS

4. Anyone running 1280x1024?

5. NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

6. INIT: Reboot won't work

7. NFS problem and swapping problem

8. running 'make xconfig' failed (RH 5.1)

9. NFS Problem

10. NFS problem

11. NFS problem between AIX and SuSE

12. NFS problem with AIX server