Help on setting up network card on new computer (IBM)

Help on setting up network card on new computer (IBM)

Post by Kevin M Patterso » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have just been given an IBM 300GL computer

The computer has an on-board network card - which I have enabled in BIOS.

I have installed Red Hat 6.1 and tried to set up the network card - without
luck.  I have configured isapnp with no problems - the network card is at
IRQ 10 and the Base I/O address is 0x0250.

When I try and put an entry in linuxconf under network devices, the system
doesn't take it.  On shutdown it says NO NE*000 Card found at I/O 0x250
On startup it says that it has failed and delaying eth0 startup.

Am I right in thinking that my system is using the work network module
(NE) - if so, which one should I use?

All help much appreciated.
Kev

Help on setting up network card on new computer (IBM)

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have just been given an IBM 300GL computer

> The computer has an on-board network card - which I have enabled in
BIOS.

> I have installed Red Hat 6.1 and tried to set up the network card -
without
> luck.  I have configured isapnp with no problems - the network card is
at
> IRQ 10 and the Base I/O address is 0x0250.

> When I try and put an entry in linuxconf under network devices, the
system
> doesn't take it.  On shutdown it says NO NE*000 Card found at I/O
0x250
> On startup it says that it has failed and delaying eth0 startup.

> Am I right in thinking that my system is using the work network module
> (NE) - if so, which one should I use?

ne*000 refers to some sort of nic-
ne1000 and ne2000 are cheap network cards ,
compatible to something novell put out long ago.
i *think* the chips are realtec ,
but i might be mistaken.

the line NO NE*000 Card found at I/O ... means you configured your
kernel /modules
to look for a ne-card at i/o250.
which is not there, your card is a different one.
so, find out which card is builtin,
(maybe they have the specs in the net)
or ,
buy a cheap one(a ne2000 would be nice, since your system's
already looking for one)
install it,
disable the onboard one,
change the settings in the system to look at any i/o.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.