Uising Kppp, sportster 33.6 fax modem and getting a headache

Uising Kppp, sportster 33.6 fax modem and getting a headache

Post by linuxidio » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

ok, yeah I'm an idiot, installed Linux ther other day and beleive it or
not everything so far appeaed fine. Found I was fond of kde and i began to
relax and enjoy this faster os.

Hoeever connecting to the internet didnt go so smoothly at all in fact not
at all.

I filled in the Kppp info fine. and I queried the modem, fine, and I dial
up, fine, connect. fine but when i go to use apps like Gaim, it cant
locate the hose, or netscape or anyother app. I tried serveral times with
different seeting, tried flow control, pap, chap and whatnot. So, can
anyone help please

1. USR Sportster Modem 33.6 fax plug n play

I have a sportster 33.6 modem (NOT a winmodem) this one
has jumpers that lets you switch from plug-n-play to
a COM/IRQ setting if desired.

With a prior version of redhat 4.x (Vanderbilt) I was able
to get this modem to work, but I had to twiddle with
the jumpers.

I have recently installed redhat 5.1 and am amazed
at how well the installation went.  Even my sound
card works and it is set for plug-n-play I did not
need to change the jumpers.

I am not able to get my chat commands to do anything to
the modem which makes me think its not quite yet configured.

Do I have to switch the jumpers at all on the modem?

With the modemtool i configured the /dev/modem to COM1

With that setting i am able to start up the pppd daemon

but i cant get the modem to do anything with chat,
what shall I try next?

Bowden

2. Debian 3.0 - Help installing ISA sound card

3. Efax: sending a fax with USR Sportster 33.6

4. Problems with RH6.1 install

5. HELP! Configuring USR Sportster 33.6 Modem..

6. 1 * ufUDnCrVN-> wav = x megs of null

7. USR Sportster 33.6 external modem

8. raw sockets

9. USR Sportster Voice 33.6 Modem

10. Wrong modem? USR Sportster Winmodem 33.6

11. USR 33.6 Sportster Voice modem <--> Remote Annex 2000

12. Modem problems with USR Sportster Voice 33.6 PnP and RedHat

13. Solaris 2.5.1 x86 / asppp / USR Sportster 33.6 internal modem problem