detecting 2nd ethernet card, sharing internet connection

detecting 2nd ethernet card, sharing internet connection

Post by Stephen Tyle » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:37:05

how do i get debian to detect a second ethernet card?
and how do i get this computer to share its internet connection?

thx in advance

-stephen

Post by Thomas Fritzinge » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:28:26

> how do i get debian to detect a second ethernet card?

Two steps:
- load the appropriate module (check with lsmod)
- enable your second device with ifconfig eth1 up

Maybe there is a build-in config-tool for debian, but I don't know about
that.

Quote:> and how do i get this computer to share its internet connection?

Enable ip-forwarding.

How do you connect the internet? I guess you also need NAT (here:
masquerading). Documentation and howto's can be found at:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html

Quote:

> thx in advance

> -stephen