swapping eth0 and eth1

Post by Steve Canfie » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 06:28:33

My linux box is running IP Masquerade to share my cable modem with my
PC and my iMac.  It has two NIC's in it, one going to the cable modem,
one going to my internal network.  Unfortunately, I'm having a problem
with netatalk that I think is related to the particular NIC in my
machine (a RealTek 8029).  I want to swap the NIC's.  I want to make
eth0 use the card currently used by eth1 and vice-versa.  Will opening
my box and physically swapping the two cards do this?  When there are
two or more NIC's in the box, how does Linux decide which to call
eth0?  I don't want to change my software setup (ie I want to keep
eth0 going to the internet and eth1 going to my internal network), I
just want to change which piece of hardware is associated with which
interface.

steve

swapping eth0 and eth1

Post by Karl Heye » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:06:38

> My linux box is running IP Masquerade to share my cable modem with my PC and
> my iMac.  It has two NIC's in it, one going to the cable modem, one going to
> my internal network.  Unfortunately, I'm having a problem with netatalk that
> I think is related to the particular NIC in my machine (a RealTek 8029).  I
> want to swap the NIC's.  I want to make eth0 use the card currently used by
> eth1 and vice-versa.  Will opening my box and physically swapping the two
> cards do this?  When there are two or more NIC's in the box, how does Linux
> decide which to call eth0?  I don't want to change my software setup (ie I
> want to keep eth0 going to the internet and eth1 going to my internal
> network), I just want to change which piece of hardware is associated with
> which interface.

use the utilities like linuxconf or netconf

or

change the alias/options around in the /etc/modules.conf file.

alias eth0 ne2k-pci  (or whatever it is)
options ne2k-pci .....

if both NICs are the same type then need to change the options line so the
the NIC with the first io address is eth0 (PCI information can be retrieved
from the /proc/pci file)

if they are different types of cards using different drivers then it's easier
just swap the driver reference in the alias lines (eth0 eth1).

karl.

swapping eth0 and eth1

Post by Michael F » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:55:57

I believe it might be related to IRQ's for each particular card.. but
don't quote me on this..

>My linux box is running IP Masquerade to share my cable modem with my
>PC and my iMac.  It has two NIC's in it, one going to the cable modem,
>one going to my internal network.  Unfortunately, I'm having a problem
>with netatalk that I think is related to the particular NIC in my
>machine (a RealTek 8029).  I want to swap the NIC's.  I want to make
>eth0 use the card currently used by eth1 and vice-versa.  Will opening
>my box and physically swapping the two cards do this?  When there are
>two or more NIC's in the box, how does Linux decide which to call
>eth0?  I don't want to change my software setup (ie I want to keep
>eth0 going to the internet and eth1 going to my internal network), I
>just want to change which piece of hardware is associated with which
>interface.

>steve

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. Phat Linux

3. nics eth0 and eth1 got swapped in ifconfig

4. Truncation of v01.n733

5. How to swap eth0 and eth1

6. smosservice sol9 x86 on sol8 x86 add fail

7. How to swap eth0 and eth1?

8. callback and ial-in, PPPD options file?

9. PCMCIA eth0 and eth1 swap (newbie)

10. eth1 problems - eth0:LAN:tulip eth1:DSL:3c509 w/ipmasq (static IP)

11. eth0 and eth1 interfaces using eth0 NIC

12. eth1 and eth0 different networks and not accessible

13. eth0 loads fine, but eth1 doesn't