"rp-pppoe" configuration problem

Post by arnul » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:58:38

hai all,

i am trying to install "roaring penguin", i mean "rp-pppoe" onto my
Debian Sarge & faced the following problem when i ran, "./configure". i
did not use "./go" as it failed, so i chose to build from source, down
here is the output of "./configure". one mor ething, "pppoe" is already
installed onto my system (by default in Debian Sarge).

does anybody have any idea on why i got 3 *WARNINGS*:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking sys/dlpi.h usability... no
checking sys/dlpi.h presence... no
checking for sys/dlpi.h... no
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking net/if_arp.h usability... yes
checking net/if_arp.h presence... yes
checking for net/if_arp.h... yes
checking netinet/if_ether.h usability... yes
checking netinet/if_ether.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/if_ether.h... yes
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking sys/uio.h usability... yes
checking sys/uio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/uio.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for fcntl.h... (cached) yes
checking net/bpf.h usability... no
checking net/bpf.h presence... no
checking for net/bpf.h... no
checking netpacket/packet.h usability... yes
checking netpacket/packet.h presence... yes
checking for netpacket/packet.h... yes
checking net/ethernet.h usability... yes
checking net/ethernet.h presence... yes
checking for net/ethernet.h... yes
checking asm/types.h usability... yes
checking asm/types.h presence... yes
checking for asm/types.h... yes
checking linux/if_packet.h usability... yes
checking linux/if_packet.h presence... yes
checking for linux/if_packet.h... yes
checking linux/if_ether.h usability... yes
checking linux/if_ether.h presence... yes
checking for linux/if_ether.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking sys/cdefs.h usability... yes
checking sys/cdefs.h presence... yes
checking for sys/cdefs.h... yes
checking net/if.h usability... yes
checking net/if.h presence... yes
checking for net/if.h... yes
checking net/if_dl.h usability... no
checking net/if_dl.h presence... no
checking for net/if_dl.h... no
checking net/if_ether.h usability... no
checking net/if_ether.h presence... no
checking for net/if_ether.h... no
checking net/if_types.h usability... no
checking net/if_types.h presence... no
checking for net/if_types.h... no
checking for netinet/if_ether.h... (cached) yes
checking for net/if_types.h... (cached) no
checking for net/if_dl.h... (cached) no
checking for linux/if.h... yes
checking for linux/if_pppox.h... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for struct sockaddr_ll... yes
checking for N_HDLC line discipline... yes
checking for working memcmp... yes
checking for function prototypes... yes
checking whether setvbuf arguments are reversed... no
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for select... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for unsigned short... yes
checking size of unsigned short... 2
checking for unsigned int... yes
checking size of unsigned int... 4
checking for unsigned long... yes
checking size of unsigned long... 4
checking for pppd... /usr/sbin/pppd
checking for echo... /bin/echo
checking for setsid... /usr/bin/setsid
checking for id... /usr/bin/id
checking for Linux 2.4.X kernel-mode PPPoE support... yes
configure: WARNING: *** Oops.  I cannot figure out what version of pppd
you have.
configure: WARNING: *** All I got back was ''
configure: WARNING: *** I will keep going, but it may not work.
checking packing order of bit fields... reversed
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating libevent/Makefile
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-connect
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-start
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-stop
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-init
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-init-suse
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-init-turbolinux
config.status: creating ../scripts/pppoe-setup
config.status: creating ../gui/Makefile
config.status: creating ../gui/tkpppoe
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
On this platform, the following targets will be built:
pppoe pppoe-server pppoe-sniff pppoe-relay
Type 'make' to compile the software.

"rp-pppoe" configuration problem

Post by Pascal Hambour » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:19:58

Hello,

arnuld a crit :

Quote:

> i am trying to install "roaring penguin", i mean "rp-pppoe" onto my
> Debian Sarge & faced the following problem when i ran, "./configure". i
> did not use "./go" as it failed, so i chose to build from source, down
> here is the output of "./configure". one mor ething, "pppoe" is already
> installed onto my system (by default in Debian Sarge).

Note : I think you should remove the Debian pppoe package before
installing your own pppoe.

> does anybody have any idea on why i got 3 *WARNINGS*:

> configure: WARNING: *** Oops.  I cannot figure out what version of pppd
> you have.
> configure: WARNING: *** All I got back was ''
> configure: WARNING: *** I will keep going, but it may not work.

Maybe pppd version is retrieved by running "/usr/sbin/pppd --version"
but the current user has no permission to run pppd.

Post by arnul » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:50:37

> Note : I think you should remove the Debian pppoe package before
> installing your own pppoe.
> Maybe pppd version is retrieved by running "/usr/sbin/pppd --version"
> but the current user has no permission to run pppd.

OK, i hav not removed "pppoe" but i became "root" & then tried
"./configure" for rp-pppoe & yes, it worked. it did not give me any
warnings. i always thought that one needs to become "root" only for
running "make install", i learnt that thing from "Christopher Negus"
who writes Bible books for "Fedora Core".

thanks for the help.

"arnuld"

"rp-pppoe" configuration problem

Post by Pascal Hambour » Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:21:53

arnuld a crit :

Quote:

> OK, i hav not removed "pppoe" but i became "root" & then tried
> "./configure" for rp-pppoe & yes, it worked. it did not give me any
> warnings. i always thought that one needs to become "root" only for
> running "make install", i learnt that thing from "Christopher Negus"
> who writes Bible books for "Fedora Core".

I agree, but things are not always perfect.
The rp-pppoe configure script invokes pppd which is restricted to root
and users of the group 'dip' on Debian. I don't know whether these
permissions are specific to Debian or not, but usually programs don't
work this way. Most can be invoked by any user and check the user
permissions only when they need to perform a privileged action, so they
can always print a version number or a help message. Actually, on my
Debian, pppd and pppoe are the only programs in /sbin and /usr/sbin
which have not the executable permission set for everyone.

1. RH73 + rp-pppoe + Gateway with no fix IP - "Device Not Found" when try connect

Hi,

I could connect from home to my broadband ISP with Red Hat 7.3 and Rp-pppoe,
where the DNS and gateway of the ISP were fixed.

Now, I changed my ISP, the DNS of the new ISP is fixed but the  gateway is
changing all the time.
From a Windows XP connect to the new ISP, I can see that the IP assigned to
my PC (different each time) is same as gateway.

Then, I removed the GATEWAY and GATEWAYDEV lines from /etc/sysconfig/network
and
reconfig the setting of rp-pppoe using adsl-setup.
I can up the LAN card (with dhcp using)
but when I try yo connect with the adsl-start command,
I got the error: "ppp0: Fetching ..... Device Not Found"

and when tracking the route table, there are no entries for eth0 (the
interface which is expected to be for PPP) and ppp0.

Any ideas?

Waveman

2. 2.4.x kernel, RH 7.1, ICQ, and masquerading

3. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

4. HELP: XAllocColorCells()

6. Qpopper for Solaris 8.0 X86

8. Another joining line question.

9. rp-pppoe 3.1 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux

10. rp-pppoe 3.3 -- Robust PPPoE client for Linux, NetBSD, and Solaris

11. SuSE 7.3 kernel pppoe vs. rp-pppoe

12. rp-pppoe 3.2 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...