ftp to FC3 box very slow.

Post by Tom Ca » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:03:14

Hi,

I just installed FC3 on a test server. I managed to get vsftpd started.
 However when I ftp from any box on the same network to the FC3 test
server the transfers are very very very slow.  Actually it isn't really
the transfer, but the time it takes to connect to the next port.

Is there something i could have done wrong?  What could cause this? Do
I need to play with iptables or something?

In setting up vsftpd,  I only made two changes to the .conf file --
commented out the anon login and uncommented the local login.

Thanks

-Tom

ftp to FC3 box very slow.

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:53:47

Quote:> Hi,

> I just installed FC3 on a test server. I managed to get vsftpd started.
>  However when I ftp from any box on the same network to the FC3 test
> server the transfers are very very very slow.  Actually it isn't really
> the transfer, but the time it takes to connect to the next port.

> Is there something i could have done wrong?  What could cause this? Do
> I need to play with iptables or something?

It is DNS timeout.  Apparently Linux is having trouble resolving a name
for your client IP (which it does as a security check).  Your ftp server
should have instructions about how to override that.

I personally run a caching nameserver (bind9), so I just added forward and
reverse zones for my LAN (per DNS HOWTO).

ftp to FC3 box very slow.

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:34:33

Quote:> Hi,
> I just installed FC3 on a test server. I managed to get vsftpd started.
> However when I ftp from any box on the same network to the FC3 test
> server the transfers are very very very slow.  Actually it isn't really
> the transfer, but the time it takes to connect to the next port.
> Is there something i could have done wrong?  What could cause this? Do
> I need to play with iptables or something?

No. The problems is vsftpd trying to (reverse) lookup host/IP
name of the client, which if not possible takes some time until
timeout occurs.

Possible solutions:

- Setup DNS for your LAN if your haven't, if so the FC3 box is
  just missing the proper nameserver entry. (www.tldp.org) has a
  great DNS Howto.

- Setup /etc/hosts. ('man 5 hosts')

- Use proftpd or alike ftp server which allows to switch of DNS
  lookups. (vsftpd IIRC doesn't)

#bofh excuse 300: Digital Manipulator exceeding velocity
parameters

ftp to FC3 box very slow.

Post by Tom Ca » Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:45:28

Instead of embarking on the DNS idea as some have suggested, I just
shut down iptables during the transfer.  The transfers then proceeded
at an amazingly fast speed.

1. Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

I have a complex network setup on a RedHat 7.0 linux box. I am trying to
troubleshoot a Very Slow Linux FTP Server.  The wu-ftpd 2.6 server on my
linux box is not serving up files faster than 64 kb/s, and only works if I
use an FTP client where I can force a limit to throughput of 64 kb/s or
less. If I use the command line FTP client, I can't get files to transfer at
all.

I have a Windows 2000 network client using LeechFTP, a nice FTP Client for
windows, that allows you to throttle your FTP download speed to a maximum of
say, 16 kb/s.  If I set that limit before I start a download, of 16 kb/s,
then the download will proceed at a steady pace, at 16 kb/s. If  I set the
limit to 64 kb/s, it proceeds at 64 kb/s.  If I remove the limit altogether,
the file transfer stops.  This weird behaviour only applies to my local
Linux box. Any downloads through the Linux box out to the internet, via IP
Masquerading, are working just fine.  FTP from my windows client machine out
through linux IP masquerading, to an Internet FTP host like ftp.cdrom.com,
regularly exceeds 100 kb/s in speed, and has no problems.

It's only from my local LAN Client (Windows 2000) to my local LAN server
(RedHat 7.0) that the FTP is so slow.

Details: RedHat 7, kernel 2.2.17, on 486/66 box (with Pentium Overdrive
chip), 32 megs RAM.
CPU usage on the linux box stays consistently low, and does not exceed 50%
total usage, even when FTP is in progress.

I have tried the following:
- removed all ip_masq_* Modules using rmmod
- Only bring up eth1, which is the local internal LAN (on subnet
10.42.42.xx)
- Bring up both ETH0 and ETH1, but don't enable IP Masquerading
- Tried starting up SAMBA, it runs so slowly as to be unusable as well, and
Windows has timeouts trying to access SAMBA.
- Tried accesing the FTP server via its local ethernet IP (10.42.42.2) and
its Internet IP (24.xx.yy.zz) and got the same slow rate of transfer and
"apparent LAN freezeup".

I am completely stumped. I have set up other FTP Servers before and they've
always performed well on the local LAN. What's going on?  How can I diagnose
this?  It's not just SLOW it freezes up.

Warren Postma

2. Fonts in X

3. Need Help: My Red Hat 6.1 Box is slow to respond to telnet or ftp requests

4. Format Floppies under Linux?

5. slow ftp access to my linux box

6. Pronouncing AIX

7. slow ftp connection to the Linux Box !

8. Automounting error

9. Why FTP/Telnet connection to Linux box is very slow ?

10. FTP/HTTP transfer rate slows down w/ time through LINUX BOX & IP Masquerading...

11. Ftp or Telnet to Linux Box Slow....

12. Slow telnet,ftp and HTTP POST to RH6.0 box

13. Slow networking between win98 box and linux box