VPN and working office benefits?

Post by Andy Judg » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 06:53:34

Really know nothing about VPN and never seen it in action, but I've been
looking around for examples of how it is used in a MS client based
environment.  What are the scenarios that one could use VPN?  Is it worth
learning?

Andy

VPN and working office benefits?

Post by Dave » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 06:57:27

Andy;
    VPN provides a secure connection over an insecure media (your ISP and
Internet). It is most commonly used by remote users (e.g. telecommuters) or
remote sites (remote sales office) to securely connect with a central site.
VPN technology normally includes an authentication process identifying the
remote person and encryption of the individual packets. Do a web search on
VPN or IPSec and you should find tutorials. Note that both the remote site
and central site have to be facilitated for VPN (i.e. client and server).

The linux technology for VPN is freeSWAN.

To operate behind a linux firewall with VPN the linux kernel has to be
patched. John Hardin has developed these patches
http://www.impsec.org/linux/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html

Hope this helps.