Linux and cable modem setup

Post by Nolanc » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:30:03

I am running Mandrake 7.1, and I need to figure out how to get my cable
modem to work with it. My network card is configured for linux, but I'm
just not sure how to enable my cable modem for it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linux and cable modem setup

Post by Kevin Crox » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I am running Mandrake 7.1, and I need to figure out how to get my cable
>modem to work with it. My network card is configured for linux, but I'm
>just not sure how to enable my cable modem for it.
>Any help is greatly appreciated.

>--

Read up at: http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/linbasics.x.html-ssi

Then, if you run into specific problems, come on back.

--Kevin

Linux and cable modem setup

Post by hlin.. » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I tried to search similar hardware and software
setting Mandrake7.1 and at&t home isp, through
RCA Cable modem and pc card smcEZ pc card 10
(8022T),  I tried dhcpcd then ifconfig with module
(smb-ultra), it should eth0 hardware address then
after one minute, I type again ifconfig, only
local loopback be shown, (why?)

I also tried ftp ftp.netscape.com
hostname can not found
(how do I know what is my hostname?  is it login
name in sigup sheet?  ie  AAA.home.com or just
AAA.home or just AAA?)

there were a article in howto, also ask us to
change some line in /sbin/ifup
from

  if /sbin/pump -i $DEVICE; then
  if /sbin/pump -i $DEVICE -h hostname; then

but I can not find similar code in Mandrake
7.1's/sbin/ifup

need your help
best regard, Eric

In article

> >I am running Mandrake 7.1, and I need to

figure out how to get my cable
Quote:> >modem to work with it. My network card is

configured for linux, but I'm
Quote:> >just not sure how to enable my cable modem for
it.
> >Any help is greatly appreciated.

> >--

> Read up at:

http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/linbasics.x.html-ssi

Quote:

> Then, if you run into specific problems, come
on back.

> --Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. linux setup for cable modem service by Cable TV Montgomery/ExpressNet

Hi,

I just found out that I can't get DSL for my home computer, so I'm
hoping I can get cable modem.  I live in Montgomery County, Maryland,
and as far as I know, the only cable company operating in that area is
Cable TV Montgomery (www.ctvm.com) and their ISP is ExpressNet
(www.ex-pressnet.com).  According to ExpressNet's web site, the system
requirements for High Speed Cable Modem Service is a PC running Windows
95 or 98.

Since I pretty much only run linux on my home computer, I am wondering
if anybody has set up their linux machine to use the cable modem service
provided by Cable TV Montgomery and ExpressNet, and if so, if it
required a special setup.

Also, if there is another cable modem provider in that area (Rockville,
Maryland), I would love to hear about it.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ultra 60 boot cd?

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. DIP patches

5. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

6. Abort in App: explanation?

7. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

8. Wheres blkdev.h?? (compiling 1.1.49)

9. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

10. Linux setup of @home cable modem

11. Setup for Mediaone road runner one way cable modem on linux (suse 6.4)

12. DNS setup on Linux bow w/ cable modem

13. cable modems(@home) setup with Mandrake Linux