PPP through a serial cable with 95?

Post by Drew Walln » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

hi there all,

ive been struggling for a long time to get my stupid 95 box to connect
PPP to my linux box, and i feel very close to success, now that i have a
null modem driver for 95 <yay! now 95 doesn't try to send AT commands to
my serial cable>, all i need is to figure out the linux side...

i have pppd and all, but im unsure as to how to run it <options etc..>
and whatever ive been trying doesn't work...it connects ppp0 to ttys3 <my
serial line> fine, but when 95 tries to connect it says it hung up...

anyone know of a good HOWTO or something on connections between 95 and
linux, esp. over a serial cable? thanks in advance,

-Drew Wallner

PPP through a serial cable with 95?

Post by Tim Sherv » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> ive been struggling for a long time to get my stupid 95 box to connect
> PPP to my linux box, and i feel very close to success, now that i have a
> null modem driver for 95 <yay! now 95 doesn't try to send AT commands to
> my serial cable>, all i need is to figure out the linux side...

> i have pppd and all, but im unsure as to how to run it <options etc..>
> and whatever ive been trying doesn't work...it connects ppp0 to ttys3 <my
> serial line> fine, but when 95 tries to connect it says it hung up...

> anyone know of a good HOWTO or something on connections between 95 and
> linux, esp. over a serial cable? thanks in advance,

> -Drew Wallner

 Hi Drew

Got the same thing setup and running.
LINUX SIDE:
     edit /etc/inittab
             "s2:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty -hL 38400 ttyS3 vt100"
                                                         ^
                        use L option so linux doesn't look for carrier detect

     create file in /usr/sbin called ppp-in or whatever you want to call it
     make sure its executable.
              "#!/bin/sh
           /usr/sbin/pppd lock crtscts /dev/ttyS3 38400 "

     make a new user acount with adduser or something. give it the
     name and password you want to use on the Win 95 login.
     When asked for the login shell use /usr/ppp-in or what you named
      it above.

     In /etc/ppp make a file called options.ttyS3 in it put
           "192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2"    thats all
     The IP numbers could go in ppp-in also but this way
      if you setup dial in users later you can give each modem
      a seperate number to use by makeing options.ttyS? for
      each dial in device and use ppp-in for everyone.
     use these numbers if you plan on routeing request
     through the linux box in the future with IP MASQ.
     That should do it on the Linux side

   Win95 side.
      Check that server type is
      PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5, Inernet and TCP/IP is
      the only protocol check below. Under TCP/IP setting you can
      use server assigned or specify IP address both work I use server
      assigned.  Name server you can play with later, Do not check IP
header
      compression but do check default gatway on remote network.  You
      most likely got the null modem driver from the same place I did
      so you should know you have to use manual/operatior assisted dial.

   Hope some of this helps

1. How do I ppp link 2 linux PC's thru serial cable?

I m trying to connect 2 Linux PC's through their serial ports..say
through /dev/cua1. What do I have to do?

I was told to run something like  pppd /dev/cua1 38400 passive
on both ends. I havent tried it yet, but I was wondering if that's
all there is to it..or do I have to setup/run more stuff?

(Should I rm the symlink of /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 by the way?)

Thanks

Chris
------------

2. Solaris 8 System Admin Exams

3. connecting Windows and Linux thru serial cable

4. USB Support for Casio QV Digital Still Cameras, kernel 2.4.2-ac20

5. Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet

6. Galeon is great!

7. Windows 95 disk access thru Linux?

8. trunking

9. HTTP pass thru vi Ethernet to Win 95

10. Are these normal PPP speed rates thru serial ports?

11. Slow linux ppp/fast 95 ppp

12. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

13. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95