Having POP3 problem

Post by V. Branyi » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:33:05

Hi everybody. I'm have a problem with POP3 access.

I've have Red Hat 6.2 and have installed inetd. When I try to Telnet into
port 110 using this command:

telnet localhost 110

I connect but after about 30 seconds the system automatically signs me off
with:

Connection closed by foreign host.

Port 25 is working fine. I'm using RedHat 6.2. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks for your help.

V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by EL C » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:18:52

Check your hosts allow and host deny files
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny

Quote:>Hi everybody. I'm have a problem with POP3 access.

>I've have Red Hat 6.2 and have installed inetd. When I try to Telnet into
>port 110 using this command:

>telnet localhost 110

>I connect but after about 30 seconds the system automatically signs me off
>with:

>Connection closed by foreign host.

>Port 25 is working fine. I'm using RedHat 6.2. Can anyone help me out.

>Thanks for your help.

>V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:34:33

Hello,

is your pop3 server even running?

Normally it's started from inetd, watch your /etc/inetd.conf for a line like:

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/popper -s

Are what pop3 server you prefer...and restart/reload your inetd if it wasn't
there....

Good luck

Michael Heiming

> Hi everybody. I'm have a problem with POP3 access.

> I've have Red Hat 6.2 and have installed inetd. When I try to Telnet into
> port 110 using this command:

> telnet localhost 110

> I connect but after about 30 seconds the system automatically signs me off
> with:

> Connection closed by foreign host.

> Port 25 is working fine. I'm using RedHat 6.2. Can anyone help me out.

> Thanks for your help.

> V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by V. Branyi » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:27:36

Thanks for answering the post.

I have checked both the hosts.allow and hosts.deny. They are fine. I have
compared them with a system that is working. They are exactly the same.

I'm sure POP3 is running also. Otherwise I would have gotten connection
refused. As it is I get connect but the system automatically disconnects me
after about 30 seconds.

V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by EL C » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:59:34

try to enter the following in hosts.allow

ipop3d:ALL

this will allow any pop3 connection from any given IP

thats what I got in my hosts.allow file and it works fine.

also check your /etc/inetd.conf file and see if POP3 is not ##
commented out.

Quote:>Thanks for answering the post.

>I have checked both the hosts.allow and hosts.deny. They are fine. I have
>compared them with a system that is working. They are exactly the same.

>I'm sure POP3 is running also. Otherwise I would have gotten connection
>refused. As it is I get connect but the system automatically disconnects me
>after about 30 seconds.

>V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by V. Branyi » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 03:15:28

Thanks for the answer but that is not it either.

I still connect but after a few seconds I get the closed by foreign host

Any other ideas?

V. Branyik

> try to enter the following in hosts.allow

> ipop3d:ALL

> this will allow any pop3 connection from any given IP

> thats what I got in my hosts.allow file and it works fine.

> also check your /etc/inetd.conf file and see if POP3 is not ##
> commented out.

> >Thanks for answering the post.

> >I have checked both the hosts.allow and hosts.deny. They are fine. I have
> >compared them with a system that is working. They are exactly the same.

> >I'm sure POP3 is running also. Otherwise I would have gotten connection
> >refused. As it is I get connect but the system automatically disconnects
me
> >after about 30 seconds.

> >V. Branyik

Having POP3 problem

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 05:35:46

>Thanks for answering the post.

>I have checked both the hosts.allow and hosts.deny. They are fine. I have
>compared them with a system that is working. They are exactly the same.

>I'm sure POP3 is running also. Otherwise I would have gotten connection
>refused. As it is I get connect but the system automatically disconnects me
>after about 30 seconds.

Which pop3 server did you install?  What does /var/log/messages say about
the attempted connection (or possibly /var/log/secure)?  When something
does not work, the first thing you should check is the logs.

Having POP3 problem

Post by V. Branyi » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:10:02

Thank you David for bringing up the obvious.

Through a message in the /var/log/secure I found my problem.

The IMAP rpm was not installed. Thanks again.

V. Branyik