Setting up NFS services

Post by S. Nguy » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to set up two Linux boxes so that they can mount NFS partitions
from each others.  They currently have been setted up in such a way that
each can telnet to the other.  Anyway, the attempt at NFS has failed.

Essentially I have added the following lines to rc.inet2:

    if [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd ]; then
             /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd; echo -n " mountd"
    fi
    if [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd ]; then
             /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd; echo -n " nfsd"
    fi

However upon reboot the following error messages occurred:

mountd Cannot register service: RPC: unable to receive; errno = Connection
refused
Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
unable to register (NFS_PROGRAM, NFS_VERSION, UDP), nfsd

I am not very sure how I should proceed to resolve this problem....
Does anyone know what is the right steps to do to get NFS to work ???

Oh yeah a "#cat /proc/filesystems" does show the line
  nodev nfs
as I have compiled the kernel with NFS option...

The other machine (which will be the client in this attempt) wasn't on.  I
don't think it should have to, as it will work as the client.  While the
machine I am setting up above will be the NFS server...

I appreciate any help anyone has on this problem.

Thanks in Advance.

S. Nguyen

Setting up NFS services

Post by Ian Camer » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:>I am trying to set up two Linux boxes so that they can mount NFS partitions
>from each others.  They currently have been setted up in such a way that
>each can telnet to the other.  Anyway, the attempt at NFS has failed.

>Essentially I have added the following lines to rc.inet2:

>    if [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd ]; then
>             /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd; echo -n " mountd"
>    fi
>    if [ -x /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd ]; then
>             /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd; echo -n " nfsd"
>    fi

>However upon reboot the following error messages occurred:

>mountd Cannot register service: RPC: unable to receive; errno = Connection
>refused
>Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
>unable to register (NFS_PROGRAM, NFS_VERSION, UDP), nfsd

>I am not very sure how I should proceed to resolve this problem....
>Does anyone know what is the right steps to do to get NFS to work ???

Sounds like you have not started the portmapper.

Uncomment the lines in rc.inet2 for the portmapper, or add this:

# Start the SUN RPC Portmapper.
if [ -f ${NET}/rpc.portmap ]; then
  echo -n " portmap"
  ${NET}/rpc.portmap
fi

Also add: NET="/usr/sbin" before the stuff above if it is not already
in your rc.inet2, or substitute ${NET} for your real path.

Note, you must start the portmapper BEFORE starting nfsd and mountd.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian.