Windows98 broke Samba

Post by G. Hugh SO » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Windows98 broke samba.  When I tried to get into my ext2 file system over
the network, Windows98 asks for a password, which I never set.  Typing in my
linux password of course is rejected by Windows98.

Of course, the printer sharing through samba does not work either
in either direction.

Has anyone noticed the problem?

Thanks alot

--
G. Hugh Song

Windows98 broke Samba

Post by Johannes Res » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Windows98 broke samba.  When I tried to get into my ext2 file system over
> the network, Windows98 asks for a password, which I never set.  Typing in my
> linux password of course is rejected by Windows98.

> Of course, the printer sharing through samba does not work either
> in either direction.

> Has anyone noticed the problem?

> Thanks alot

> --
> G. Hugh Song

Hello Hugh!

perhaps you should take a look at the samba
log files, which in fact reside in
/var/log (log.smb and log.nmb) which
might give you a clue on what went wrong.
Perhaps windows 98 sends the password in encrypted
form, which isn't expected by all samba configs.
The fact that samba asks for a password is quite
normal.
If you have any further questions, feel free to mail
me.

Regards

Johannes
--

sd&m   GmbH & Co. KG            http://www.sdm.de
Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27, 81737 Muenchen, Germany

Windows98 broke Samba

Post by Tor Slettne » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

    G> Hi, Windows98 broke samba.  When I tried to get into my ext2
    G> file system over the network, Windows98 asks for a password,
    G> which I never set.  Typing in my linux password of course is
    G> rejected by Windows98.

    G> Of course, the printer sharing through samba does not work
    G> either in either direction.

    G> Has anyone noticed the problem?

No, but chances are you are experiencing the same as users who upgrade
to Windows NT service pack 3, or Win95 service pack 2.  Windows
insists on sending encrypted passwords, which require DES libraries
that are not shipped with Samba.  There is a registry entry you will
have to add manually (with regedit.exe) to enable plain text
passwords; the exact location I could not tell you in the case of
Win98.  In Windows NT, you add an entry under:

 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]

The key should "EnablePlainTextPassword"; the value should be a DWORD
with value 00000001.

There is also another solution; upgrade Samba to revision 1.9.18.
Although not shipped with DES libraries, this revision introduces an
algorithm to allow encrypted passwords to be set and used.

-tor

Windows98 broke Samba

Post by Esse » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Johannes Rest schrieb:

> > Hi,

> > Windows98 broke samba.  When I tried to get into my ext2 file system over
> > the network, Windows98 asks for a password, which I never set.  Typing in my
> > linux password of course is rejected by Windows98.

> > Of course, the printer sharing through samba does not work either
> > in either direction.

> > Has anyone noticed the problem?

> > Thanks alot

> > --
> > G. Hugh Song
> Hello Hugh!

> perhaps you should take a look at the samba
> log files, which in fact reside in
> /var/log (log.smb and log.nmb) which
> might give you a clue on what went wrong.
> Perhaps windows 98 sends the password in encrypted
> form, which isn't expected by all samba configs.
> The fact that samba asks for a password is quite
> normal.
> If you have any further questions, feel free to mail
> me.

> Regards

> Johannes
> --

> sd&m   GmbH & Co. KG            http://www.sdm.de
> Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27, 81737 Muenchen, Germany
> Tel +49 89 63812-438  Fax -150

FOr solving the problem you have to look in the Registry of Windows
in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentContr... > Services >Vxd >
VNSETUP
There add a DWORD named EnablePlainTextPasswords and set the value to 1

that's all

Esse