Newbie question: Internet on my laptop using a school Windows NT network

Newbie question: Internet on my laptop using a school Windows NT network

Post by Michel Ta » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a laptop with Red Hat 5.2. On school we have a Windows NT
network and can use internet. I can connect my laptop to the
schoolnetwork using my pcmcia ethernetcard.

How can I setup Red Hat 5.2 so I can also use Internet on my laptop?

TIA

Post by David Steube » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

-> I have a laptop with Red Hat 5.2. On school we have a Windows NT
-> network and can use internet. I can connect my laptop to the
-> schoolnetwork using my pcmcia ethernetcard.
->
-> How can I setup Red Hat 5.2 so I can also use Internet on my laptop?

You need some information from your network admin before you can do
this:

1) Your IP address, or the address of the DHCP server.
2) IP address of the default gateway.
3) At least one DNS host name or IP.

If you are running X, Red Hat probably has a nice configuration tool
for you to use.  I am using SuSE 5.3, so things are a bit different
for me.  If you have to use DHCP, then I can't help.  See if the
HOWTOs have something on that.

In SuSE, I set my IP in /etc/rc.config and then run a script that
updates the world.  My DNS goes in the same file.  That information is
used to create a file called /etc/resolv.conf which looks like this:

search domain.com
nameserver dns1.domain.com
nameserver dns2.domain.com

The last thing you need to do is configure your routing table so that
networking works.  This is also where the default gateway comes in.
You need that to get off of the local subnet.  Look for a file named
/etc/route.conf.  It contains your routing information and looks
something like this:

destination   gateway     gen mask       iface
10.7.7.0      0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  eth0
default       10.7.7.9

Do man ifconfig for setting up your NIC.  You should have a start up
script that calls ifconfig to set your IP address.  You might have a
script called /etc/pcmcia/network that calls ifconfig to set the IP
address.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

1. from Linux to internet using Windows NT 4sp4

Hi folks!

I have a small eterogeneous network, with MS Windows, Linux, Solaris and
Macintosh workstations on the same LAN and partition; there is a NT 4 sp
4 domain server that act as a TCP/IP gateway.
I configured TCP/IP on all of these machines, addressing the server as
the default gateway.
I activated the "forward IP packets" option on the server.
The MS PC did not get out of my LAN until I installed both server and
client sides of a thing called "MS Proxy Server 2.0". Obviously, I have
no such thing on Linux, Solaris or Mac.
I would like to connect to the Internet not only from Windows PCs, and I
definitely don't care about controlling the accesses to the Internet or
caching pages on the server.

Is it possible?
Cheers!

2. .forward scripts

3. Internet access for small school network

4. Error message with Custom

5. Want to use Linux server for school network w/internet, etc.

6. Cluster !

7. Logon to Windows NT network from Linux using Samba?

8. DHCP on Token Ring

9. Network backup of Linux using Windows NT

10. Toshiba Laptop Satellite 325 CDS and X-Windows-Newbie question.

11. AIX and Windows NT: AIX RS6000 as a application and database server over an NT network ?

12. newbie question - IP configuration for new internet server on network with multiple IP blocks

13. webmail newbie question (school mail server)