Problem telnetting to a machine

Post by Amit Margali » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I am having a problem with a machine that won't let me
telnet into it.

When I try I get this:

$ telnet 10.0.0.2
Trying 10.0.0.2...
Connected to 10.0.0.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
$

And that's it. The interfaces are set up properly, the
IPs are indeed 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 over a plip line.

Pings work, and from the machine's console I am able to
telnet to its peer. I have even set up the peer as a
router for it, and doing masquerading for it. The
problem machine can telnet over the internet without
problem.

I am also able to open X apps from the problem machine
to its peer, without trouble.

Any ideas?

I'd appreciate direct emails and promise to post the
solution when found.

Thanks,

        Amit Margalit

Problem telnetting to a machine

Post by emens » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Try a hostname/dns entry for the machine that fails, so that it is known to
the target machine.

>Hello!

>I am having a problem with a machine that won't let me
>telnet into it.

>When I try I get this:

>$ telnet 10.0.0.2
>Trying 10.0.0.2...
>Connected to 10.0.0.2.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>$

>And that's it. The interfaces are set up properly, the
>IPs are indeed 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 over a plip line.

>Pings work, and from the machine's console I am able to
>telnet to its peer. I have even set up the peer as a
>router for it, and doing masquerading for it. The
>problem machine can telnet over the internet without
>problem.

>I am also able to open X apps from the problem machine
>to its peer, without trouble.

>Any ideas?

>I'd appreciate direct emails and promise to post the
>solution when found.

>Thanks,

> Amit Margalit

Problem telnetting to a machine

Post by mist » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello!

>I am having a problem with a machine that won't let me
>telnet into it.

>When I try I get this:

>$ telnet 10.0.0.2
>Trying 10.0.0.2...
>Connected to 10.0.0.2.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.
>$

Which suggests that the machine you are trying to telnet to has tcp
wrappers or similar that are denying your machine access.  EG,
etc/hosts.deny is ALL : ALL and hosts.allow does not let your machine in
for telnet....

<snip>
--
Mist.

1. Can't Telnet of Ftp to my machine _from_ a DOS machine.

Hello great gurus.

Now, this is probably just a stupid little setup problem, but i can't
find anyone with the answer.

I often need to telnet to my machine when i'm at school.  And of course,
us undergrads mostly have access to PC's running DOS and connected to the
'world' using some sort of ethernet network (Novell?).  Right now, my
machine only accepts telnets from the _workstations_ on campus.  So i have
to do a 'double telnet'  (i telnet to one of the school's workstations,
then telnet to my machine).  Has anybody else run into this problem and
know how to solve it?

I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that my machine is checking
the integrity of the incoming telnet.  I'm not quite sure how the PC's
have their I.P. addresses allocated, but is it possible that this is what
is causing the problem?

In any case, my kernel is 1.1.54.  I'm connecting through a SLIP
connection using DIP (3.3.7 i think) on a 14,4 baud modem.  And, i just
checked my /var/adm/messages and found the following message for today's
particular failure:
telnetd: ttloop: peer died: No such file or directory
What does this mean?

Anyways, thanks for your help.  I think that DOS will someday drive me to
maddness :) ... no matter how hard i try, it never ceases to be a headache!

        A beginner,
                    chris lemay.

Christian T. Y. Lemay           | "C'est le temps que tu as perdu pour

(Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA)     |       -- Antoine de St-Exupery

2. Printer Interface Script???

3. RedHat 8.0 -- Telnet works to local host, but can't telnet from a remote machine

4. ide-cd locks up under 2.5.44

5. Problem with Telnet, FTP to machine in LAN

6. Perl Auth.pm equivalent of AuthUserFile

7. Problems logging/telnetting from other machines

8. --- Linux for Mac ??? ---

9. Problem: Can't telnet to RH7 machine - ?

10. rlogin, telnet problems into Sol8 machine

11. problem telnetting into my machine

12. Wierd telnet problems from cisco term server to linux machine

13. Problem in Telnet in my Linux Machine