PPP & Web pages

Post by Doug Roac » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,
I configured ppp using KPPP for 2 separate connections, 1 for my ISP & 1 for
work. When I dial in to work I have no problems, can ping, ftp & access Web
pages through their firewall. When I dial in to my ISP, I can ping my ISP's
home page (or any other page), & I can ftp with no problem. But when I use
my browser (Netscape) I get the following:
contacting www.whatever.com
www.whatever.com contacted, waiting for reply.
Then it just sits there & spins.

I'm pretty sure the DNS setting is OK since I can ping by web address & I
also get the above problem using IP addresses in the browser. From what I
understand, KPPP temporarily writes into the resolv.conf file, so I don't
think my problem lies there.
Also, I put in an ftp address in the netscape location bar & that works OK.
Again I use the same setup for work & everything works fine.
Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Doug

PPP & Web pages

Post by William R. Matti » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all,
> I configured ppp using KPPP for 2 separate connections, 1 for my ISP & 1 for
> work. When I dial in to work I have no problems, can ping, ftp & access Web
> pages through their firewall. When I dial in to my ISP, I can ping my ISP's
> home page (or any other page), & I can ftp with no problem. But when I use
> my browser (Netscape) I get the following:
> contacting www.whatever.com
> www.whatever.com contacted, waiting for reply.
> Then it just sits there & spins.

> I'm pretty sure the DNS setting is OK since I can ping by web address & I
> also get the above problem using IP addresses in the browser. From what I
> understand, KPPP temporarily writes into the resolv.conf file, so I don't
> think my problem lies there.
> Also, I put in an ftp address in the netscape location bar & that works OK.
> Again I use the same setup for work & everything works fine.
> Any sugestions?
> Thanks,
> Doug

Maybe the Browser is set up to use a proxy through the firewall ???

Regards
Bill
--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.

PPP & Web pages

Post by Doug Roac » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply, but no, it's set up for direct connection to the
Internet.
Only seems to not let http protocol back through.
Maybe my ISP needs to do something at their end?
Doug

>Maybe the Browser is set up to use a proxy through the firewall ???

>Regards
>Bill
>--
>William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

>(972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.

1. Paging Software for Web Paging & Monitoring

Cross Communications has been developing paging software for Windows NT
and Unix Web systems for some time now.  HipLink is at work in 1000s of
major corporations around the world.  Everyone wants to page people from
the web site...

Web based paging from intranets is absolutely on fire today.  Everyone
in the fortune 2000 companies are moving into it.  Where are you?

We believe the HipLink price point of $595 & up, is appropriate ?  That
puts a software module on your web server that can take pages from any
source, and deliver them real-time to pagers, PCS phones, beepers, ...
through a standard modem.

HipLink is mostly used for general communications by visitors to web
sites. Once that's understood, everyone wants to monitor the system
to ensure availablility.  Of course there are email gateways too.

site www.crosscom.com

Rc

2. Ati Rage Fury 128 sous Linux

3. Utility to convert PowerPoint "web pages" into real web pages?

4. Help !! SyQuest Sparq (E-IDE)

5. getting login & password & use on web page

6. intel i810 - sound - where do I start to fix this ?!

8. Log analyzer for Apache

9. Web Page - Linux PPP script ?

10. Automatic ppp web page?

11. Dynamic PPP address in web page

12. hosting my web pages & working at the same time?

13. New Web Page: Linux setup on Digital VP-567 & VP-500 series