ARCNet

ARCNet

Post by Pincha » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00



Hello, I am running RedHat 5.0 kernel 2.0.34 I believe and am having
trouble with ARCNet I am also quite new to linux.  Has anyone
successfully setup an ARCNet network?  Has anyone setup a mixed ARCNet /
Ethernet network?  I am able to get linux to detect my ARCNet cards
correctly, but am unable to have them talk to each other.  In one
computer i have both ARCNet and Ethernet cards in the other i have only
ARCNet.  I am using the device arc0 and not arc0e or arc0s is that my
problem?  Also when i try to load samba at boot time on the computer
with both ARCNet and ethernet cards it takes forever and doesn't work
properly (I use samba so my winblows computers can print on my one
printer).  Is this a problem with my setup or a limitation of samba
(probably my setup)? BTW the arcnet network is 192.168.3.0 and the
ethernet one is 192.168.1.0.  Also, can ARCNet cards be aliased so that
i can have two networks using the same card ex. 192.168.2.0 and
192.168.3.0(they probably can, just that i suck:().  I have not been
able to do this but it probably has to do with the fact that i cant even
get two cards with only one network to talk to each other.  Any way if
you can help me out at all contact me at my e-mail address because im
not much of a news fan (perhaps if i have more trouble in the future i
might become a regular leech:)).
Thanks
Stanley Pinchak

 
 
 

ARCNet

Post by Michael Kaufman » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00



> Hello, I am running RedHat 5.0 kernel 2.0.34 I believe and am having
> trouble with ARCNet I am also quite new to linux.  Has anyone
> successfully setup an ARCNet network?  Has anyone setup a mixed ARCNet /
> Ethernet network?  I am able to get linux to detect my ARCNet cards

Yes i have. It works very good.

Quote:> correctly, but am unable to have them talk to each other.  In one
> computer i have both ARCNet and Ethernet cards in the other i have only
> ARCNet.  I am using the device arc0 and not arc0e or arc0s is that my
> problem?  Also when i try to load samba at boot time on the computer

If both computers use arc0 (RFC1201) it is ok. But when the other computer
is a windows computer you should use arc0e.

Quote:> with both ARCNet and ethernet cards it takes forever and doesn't work
> properly (I use samba so my winblows computers can print on my one
> printer).  Is this a problem with my setup or a limitation of samba
> (probably my setup)? BTW the arcnet network is 192.168.3.0 and the

You can use SAMBA (if you really need it). But the first step should
be to get the network running (simple ping should work).

Quote:> ethernet one is 192.168.1.0.  Also, can ARCNet cards be aliased so that
> i can have two networks using the same card ex. 192.168.2.0 and
> 192.168.3.0(they probably can, just that i suck:().  I have not been

Of course, you can also do IP aliasing with ARCNET devices.

Quote:> able to do this but it probably has to do with the fact that i cant even
> get two cards with only one network to talk to each other.  Any way if

You can find further information at:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/arcnet*

Bye
Michael
--
mucosa - system  #Phone: +49 911  883028 #   IP: 44.130.60.23 # 030/OS3.1

Nuernberg/Germany#Pager: +49 1661 0083035#                    # SPARC/SOLARIS

 
 
 

1. only show arcnet submenu if arcnet is selected

Trivial: This is a follow-up to your "Gigabit Ethernet submenu" precedent.

Only show the arcnet submenu if the arcnet entry is selected.

--

diff -urN a/drivers/net/arcnet/Kconfig b/drivers/net/arcnet/Kconfig
--- a/drivers/net/arcnet/Kconfig        2002-10-31 02:33:49.000000000 +0100

 # Arcnet configuration
 #

-menu "ARCnet devices"
-       depends on NETDEVICES
-
 config ARCNET
+       depends on NETDEVICES
        tristate "ARCnet support"
        ---help---

          module, say M here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt> as well
          as <file:Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt>.

+menu "ARCnet devices"
+       depends on ARCNET
+
 config ARCNET_1201
        tristate "Enable standard ARCNet packet format (RFC 1201)"
        depends on ARCNET
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in

More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2. HELP: Cannot build libc5.2.18 !!

3. i NEED aRNeT Arcnet even.. I need ARCnet drivers????

4. ethershare on soalris 2

5. FreeBSD and Arcnet Cards

6. Run Queue Length reported by SAR.

7. Support for ARCNet?

8. eg fault with taper6.7.4

9. Arcnet on linux?

10. arcnet <--> 10/100 ethernet

11. PATCH: bring 2.5 arcnet into line with 2.4

12. Using linux to relay ARCNET net to remote via modem

13. PATCH: header update for arcnet updates (again to match 2.4)