AUDIT: client 8 rejected from IP <ip> port <port> ????

AUDIT: client 8 rejected from IP <ip> port <port> ????

Post by Anibal Jodorcovs » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

sorry for crossposting but I think this is pertinent to both groups.
I am runnning linux 1.2.5 with XFree 3.1 and ppp1.2.1b.

Whenever I get connected to my service provdier and start up PPP I
change the /etc/hosts file to reflect my newly assigned IP address
(dynamic addressing) and when I go down I resotre the old loopback file.

So, when I am up, my /etc/hosts looks something like this:

127.0.0.1    localhost
198.168.189.153    dimension.ee.mcgill.ca dimension

then when I go down I have:

127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.0.1    dimension.ee.mcgill.ca dimension

the thing is that whenever I am up I can't get an xterm from GoodStuff, and
in the console where I am running X from, say tty1, I get a message like
this:

where <> are all changing when I request another xterm (ip doens't change
:-).
If I go down then it works again, so the /etc/hosts file is doing something
and I have no idea how to fix this.  What am I missing here?

Do I have to restart any special daemon so that my xterms work again?

thanks for any info on this,
--
   Anibal Jodorcovsky  *
    Montreal - Canada  *  Unix _IS_ user friendly...

Post by Brian Harve » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

>the thing is that whenever I am up I can't get an xterm from GoodStuff, and
>in the console where I am running X from, say tty1, I get a message like
>this:

This is because only certain machines can connect to your Xserver.  If you
type xhost at a prompt it will list what machines can connect for ex
hooty[kiko][8:37pm][~] xhost
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
INET:localhost
INET:hooty.udel.edu
LOCAL:

to add new host just type
xhost + newhost.domain.name

or to take off the list
xhost - newhost.domain.name

Brian

Post by Alex Nicola » Mon, 01 May 1995 04:00:00

>the thing is that whenever I am up I can't get an xterm from GoodStuff, and
>in the console where I am running X from, say tty1, I get a message like
>this:
>where <> are all changing when I request another xterm (ip doens't change
>:-).
>If I go down then it works again, so the /etc/hosts file is doing something
>and I have no idea how to fix this.  What am I missing here?

The audit message means that your X-server has not authorized connections
from teh machine attempting to starte the xterm. I didn't really follow what
you did to your etc/hosts but if you type:

xhost <ip>

where <ip> is the addr your audit message is complaining about the problem will
go away. However, note that anyone you have xhost'ed has you by the throat
security wise so make sure you're not xhost'ing your provider.

hope this helps
alex