Wake-On-Lan feature

Post by Mike Freide » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Does any one know something about this feature, especially on Linksys
EtherFast NIC family?
I just would like to use my Linux notebook for wake-up other machines.

Thank you,
    Mike Freider

Wake-On-Lan feature

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

You can use this Linux program to wake others:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc/wakelan-
1.1.tar.gz
==========MODIFIED=========
4/5/00 8:42 PM
===========================
You can use this Linux program to wake others:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc/wakelan-
1.1.tar.gz
I assume you have all the hardware set up? (ie: having the
Wake-on-Lan
cable connected from netowrk card to motherboard, and enabling
it in
the BIOS)

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet3/qx.usenetGuest.showUsenetGue...

1. Linux and Wake-on-LAN NIC feature

Hi

I was wondering about the WoL feature on some NICs. As far as I understand
it, WoL is a feature of the NIC and connects via a wire to  a connector
on a motherboard that supports this feature.

Ok so if I have a motherboard without this feature am I SOL? Or can linux
support a similar function in software? I am thinking of some sort or
power-down/power-up function that kicks in when there is activity on the
subnet. What about cards that don't have this feature, can they still be
used for this purpose?

MTIA

Bill

                    Small is beautiful. Keep it simple.

2. Debian 2.1 - Install reports: Bug! - AHA2742T

3. 3c905c with Wake-on-lan ?

4. 3c59x and transmit timeouts

5. wake-on-lan only works when machine is off!

6. NCR Tower 600 to NCR Tower 800

7. How to wake-on-lan ?

8. Where to find WebDAV rpm package for Red Hat 6.2?

9. Wake-on-LAN

10. WOL Wake-ON-LAN: sending Magic Packets

11. Looking for Wake-On-LAN 10/100Mbit NIC

12. Wake-on-LAN/PCI Linux support

13. ether-wake / Wake On Lan setup