Static IP Address Problem

Post by Aubrey Kilpatric » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm a networking newbie.  I have finally received a "Static IP Address" from
a local ISP Service Provider and I want to convert my dynamic IP assigned
number to the static address from the local ISP.  The problem is my linux
box, "server", on my home LAN is set up to use Dynamic IP addresses with my
current ISP.  I am using IP Masquerade and ipfwadm firewall on the linux
server.  The win95 machines connect to the WWW through the linux box just
fine with my current setup BUT, I can't get it to work with the new static
IP #.  If someone can help me or point me to a specific HOWTO on setting up
a dialup ppp connection with a static IP address I would appreciate it very
much.

If this is a dumb question my apologies to the group and I will keep
searching for the answer.

Thanks in advance for the help!

aubrey

Static IP Address Problem

Post by Clifford Ki » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I'm a networking newbie.  I have finally received a "Static IP Address" from
: a local ISP Service Provider and I want to convert my dynamic IP assigned
: number to the static address from the local ISP.  The problem is my linux
: box, "server", on my home LAN is set up to use Dynamic IP addresses with my
: current ISP.  I am using IP Masquerade and ipfwadm firewall on the linux
: server.  The win95 machines connect to the WWW through the linux box just
: fine with my current setup BUT, I can't get it to work with the new static
: IP #.  If someone can help me or point me to a specific HOWTO on setting up
: a dialup ppp connection with a static IP address I would appreciate it very
: much.

It should be as simple as adding <YourStaticIP:> as a pppd option.

As always "man pppd" should provide details and insight.

--

/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */