FTP: Can't Log In

Post by Mazu » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I can connect to the ftp server (either remotely or locally), but can't
log in
 (locally nor remotely) as a real user.  The result
looks like this:
--------------------------------
$ftp 192.168.1.4
Connected to 192.168.1.4
220 mazur FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1)...)ready.
Name (192.168.1.4:mazur):myusername
331 Password required for myusername.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>
---------------------------------

I am using the same username and password I use to log into the
computer....into Linux itself.  I understand /etc/ftpaccess shouldn't
have anything to do with this.  FYI, I CAN telnet both locally and
remotely.

I can't think of anything more to check than the FTP* files.  Any
thoughts?

Rob
(RH6.1, wu-2.6.1, also running apache,tomcat,mysql)

FTP: Can't Log In

Post by ammar_agano.. » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Are you also having problems with IMAP/POP servers?

Try to login once more, let him return you a "login incorrect" error,
but don't close the screen.

Do a ps -aux |grep ftpd

If the ps -aux returns ftpd running as some xy user, then we are having
the same problem :(

Ammar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. sockets, IPX tunneling and frame conversion

3. FTP: logging things other than 'get' and 'put'

4. kernel error when compiling kernel on 4-stable (after make dep, d

6. Linux - No Hard Disk? Amazing

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Perl question

9. trouble with 'ftpwho' and reporting logged in ftp users

10. ftp logging with 'last' command

11. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

12. how do 'plug-ins' work?