cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

Post by Monroe_Buffal » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 00:22:00

I am setting up a firewall with Shorewall, and routing with static
routes, and when I set the default route, it doesn't save.  my box has
three nics Eth0,1,2 I want the default route to point to 0 but it keeps
pointing back to 2.

cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

Post by Bit Twiste » Mon, 07 Nov 2005 00:28:38

Quote:> I am setting up a firewall with Shorewall, and routing with static
> routes, and when I set the default route, it doesn't save.  my box has
> three nics Eth0,1,2 I want the default route to point to 0 but it keeps
> pointing back to 2.

Have not done rh in awhile. /etc/sysconfig/network used to have the
default gateway device.

cat  /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
GATEWAYDEV=eth0                <============
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1

What you might do is
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
grep GATEWAYDEV eth*
to if directive has moved into a nic config file.

Do post a followup as to where it was set.
Add SOLUTION to the subject line for the benifit of others using a
search engine.

cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

Post by Monroe_Buffal » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 04:43:37

this didn't work for me, but I fixed it by adding a script to rc.local
that deletes the default route and adds the one that I want.