Samba/E-Mail server w/E-mail arrival messages. How?

Samba/E-Mail server w/E-mail arrival messages. How?

Post by James Culbertso » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm just about to set up a Linux/Samba server with E-mail on the side.
I haven't figured out how I should handle E-mail in a way that gives me:

1) No clear-text passwords over the network
2) IMAP4
3) Immediate E-mail arrival notifications sent to mail recipients.
    (Should send a short arrival-notification message to the recipient's
computer for
    Microsoft's Winpopup.exe utility to receive.   The message should
state the
    identity of the E-mail sender, the time, and the E-mail subject
line.)  I can do
    this with my old server (Novell 3.11) and the free Mercury mail
system, but as a
    Linux newby, I'm not sure how to get all three of these features at
once.

Ideas?

Jim Culbertson

1. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

This has been driving me nutty. I decided to setup a small business with
linux as a file/printer/e-mail/internet server (2 offices, about 10 clients
at each)
I can do all of the rest (file,printing, and internet access) but I am
having a hell of a time understanding linux (unix) e-mail. I have searched
countless how to's but just want to know one thing. How do I do the
following:
Allow 2 offices to send and receive e-mail to each other
Allow each office to send and receive e-mail locally (don't go out to the
internet when you want to send something to the guy in the next cube)
Have a dial up connection retrieve e-mail from an internet POP server, and
deliver it a win95 client when the win95 client requests it.
I'm assuming i need sendmail (or qmail), a pop server, and a ppp connection.
DO i need a DNS server or can I just resolve through hosts file?
Can someone please point me to a good source on the subject of e-mail, or
offer some advice.
Thank You

2. How to remote access PC at home ?

3. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

4. Ressource Price: Socket Connection

5. Adding Email Accounts Linux Email Server

6. Zinc on Linux?

7. sending email w/o having an email server

8. RCS related Q

9. help-- inform new arrival e-mail by beep sound

10. Script to page me upon email arrival

11. Best (easiest) email and fax server for win95 clients with samba????

12. New Mail Server | 14 Bounced Messages from my Domain Email

13. email - forcing text to be added to messages before leaving the server