rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by Anthony Ewel » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I can not get netcfg to run under red hat 6.0.  I get the following
error:

      File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 29, in ?
            from rhentry import *
                EOFError: EOF read where object expected

anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
--Tony

rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

After standard installation of Red-Hat 6.0 on a laptop, PCMCIA card
seeming well configured, I systematically get some trouble JUST AFTER
having set my TCP/IP eth0 card adress (delaying eth0 initialisation ...
[FAILED]).
In fact, all network services (DNS, HTTP, ...) seem to work properly and
the eth0 card is there with "ifconfig".
Having previously installed former Red-Hat 5.2 + kernel update versions,
I am persuaded this is simply a routing trouble : the  system wants to
route either before the eth0 card is up or tries to see really (ping ?)
all related IP adresses (DNS, Gateways, ...) which are usually not
connected when I start my laptop.
Some magazines seem to say too that network route initialisation scripts
changed under Red-Hat 6.0, but they say very little.
Please help if you can. I will post the correct answer for newsgroup if
I ever get it.

Bye !

rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by unkno » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The basic reason for the FAILED message is becuse the PCMCIA card does
not get loaded until  after the ETH0, I have the same error message on
my laptop and the Network works fine.

rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

unknown a crit :

Quote:> The basic reason for the FAILED message is becuse the PCMCIA card does
> not get loaded until  after the ETH0, I have the same error message on
> my laptop and the Network works fine.

Hello !

Although I answer to myself (but I said I would post the answer for my
trouble), I ask by the same occasion another question.

I essentially ansd practically resolved my laptop PCMCIA NIC installation
trouble : I added "pre-install pcnet_cs /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start"
and "alias eth0 pcnet_cs" in /etc/conf.modules. So all initialisations and
network services are correctly launched and all works fine.
Saddly, there remain an ugly "cardmgr" initialisation message on many
lines and the standard [ OK ] message for proper eth0 launch doesn't
appear. How to fix that (status returned = 1 for card manager).

Bye !

--
Responsable de formation pour les filires Internet et Linux

rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by Greg Wildma » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I can not get netcfg to run under red hat 6.0.  I get the following
> error:

>       File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 29, in ?
>             from rhentry import *
>                 EOFError: EOF read where object expected

> anyone have any ideas?

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

Make sure that your /etc/conf.modules files has an alias entry for eth0.
Sometimes when the sound config utility does not detect your card it
does not replace this file for you. (may be called conf.modules.bak)

I am not sure but I think you can force the kernel to load modules (ie.
PCMCIA support ) early in the boot sequence.

Greg.

rh 6.0 and netcfg

Post by Ty » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I can not get netcfg to run under red hat 6.0.  I get the following
> error:

>       File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 29, in ?
>             from rhentry import *
>                 EOFError: EOF read where object expected

> anyone have any ideas?

> Many thanks,
> --Tony

Do you have python installed, I think the py extension indicates a
python file.  I'm new and learning too, but I think python is a
scripting language like perl and is used program dialog boxes and uses
other widget things (whatever the heck they are).

I'd start with selecting to install python from the rh distro.

Tyrone

1. RH 6.0 and Mandrake 6.0

Has anyone tried to install the Mandrake 6.0 KDE rpm's in RedHat 6.0?

(Mandrake has a much better implementation of KDE IMHO.)

I know that RH installs KDE in /usr/shared and Mandrake installs in
/opt/kde, but that should be easy to deal with.

I have tried a few rpm's and can force an install (the Mandrake rpm's want
to be installed on a Mandrake distro and barf when you try to install them
in the RedHat distro; again, not a serious problem)

Any other gotcha's before I download and install the entire bunch of
Mandrake 6.0 KDE rpm's?

Hoyt

2. AUTOEXEC.BAT equivalent?

3. RH 6.0 vs. Mandrake 6.0

4. Diamond Viper and Quake

5. ethernet failed on install with mandrake 6.0 (RH 6.0)

6. Can't edit .conf files in /etc????

7. RH 6.0 to RH 6.2 Upgrade

8. question on context of kfree_skb()

9. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

10. New GNOME RH 6.0 RPM's on RH 5.2?

11. RH SECURE WEB SERVER 2.0 + RH 6.0 PROBLEMS

12. War Stories Wanted: RH 5.0 -> RH 6.0 upgrade

13. RH 6.0 and RH SECURE WEB SERVER 2.0