T1 or 56K interface for linux?

Post by spoe.. » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Can a linux box take a T1 or 56K feed directly?

I've already set one up for routing between LANs,
and now would like to use it as the router between
our LAN and our ISP.

Thanks very much in advance,
Joshua Spoerri

Post by Terry Glie » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

|> If you wanna go 56k frame, you ABSOLUTELY need synchronous connections. You can
|> be assured your local phone co. will laugh in your face if you ask for an
|> async. 56k frame connection.

I've been seriously looking at http://www.etinc.com/ for their Frame Relay
equipment.  I have yet to make a decision, but what they have looks
attractive. And they specifically mention Linux as being supported.

Anyone have direct experience with these folks?

CANS Webmeister: http://www.cfa.org/           http://cans.com/~tpg

Post by Jim Freem » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Can a linux box take a T1 or 56K feed directly?

>I've already set one up for routing between LANs,
>and now would like to use it as the router between
>our LAN and our ISP.

Yes.   See (in alphabetical order) :

        http://www.sangoma.com/
        http://www.sdlcomm.com/

Both have h/w and drivers that work under Linux.
--
Jim Freeman

T1 or 56K interface for linux?

Post by Perry Donh » Thu, 02 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Would it technically be possible to multiplex two 28.8kbps modems to
achieve 56kbps? Would such a scheme be scalable?

Perry

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.en-garde.com/kidpub

Post by bill davids » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| Would it technically be possible to multiplex two 28.8kbps modems to
| achieve 56kbps? Would such a scheme be scalable?

There are products which will use two phone lines to increase
bandwidth. I don't see any reason why you can't use two lines, but I
don't know of any software to actually do it.

I think ISDN would be cheaper in many cases.

Post by Dan Graupm » Sun, 05 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>writes:
>>> Can a linux box take a T1 or 56K feed directly?

<clip - clip>

You might want to check out the company below, I believe their products also
support Linux.  I have had no experience with this company other than seeing
this info posted on the inet-access mail list.

Emerging Technologies synchronous communications boards are now
available for NetBSD on i386 platforms. Protocol support for routing IP
packets via  PPP, Cisco compatible HDLC encapsulation, Frame Relay
and X.25 is included. Multiple hardware configurations are available ranging
from an economical single port 56k unit to a dual port T1 board.

Online information is available at www.etinc.com
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25

Dan

T1 or 56K interface for linux?

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>| Would it technically be possible to multiplex two 28.8kbps modems to
>| achieve 56kbps? Would such a scheme be scalable?

>There are products which will use two phone lines to increase
>bandwidth. I don't see any reason why you can't use two lines, but I
>don't know of any software to actually do it.

Also, because of interference, it is not always possible to use both
home lines in a two-line setup for electronic data.  The wires are
often close enough one to the other than one significantly interferes
with the other.

-Joel

|_|~~ Germany, Europe. 1940's ``A DISTINGUISHED speaker said that we must put
__|~| 16 Million DEAD.          our children first.   We in Bosnia wonder  if
                                we have any children left. Seven* thousand
 cnc  Bosnia, Europe. 1990's    children  have been killed  in Bosnia in  the
 cnc  HOW MANY MORE?            last three  years.   Those living, some  with
                                gray hair and eyes and hearts of old men, are
``May the world you             hardly children any more.''
  live in be the world                             - H. Silajdzic
  of your dreams.'' - Debbie Friedman                Prime Minister of Bosnia

Post by bill davids » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|       I was under the impression that this support was built into the
| Linux kernel.  I had inquired about the same thing a while ago and that's
| the answer that I got.

Okay net fans, is there something I'm missing here? If there's
support for using two lines between sites using the combined
bandwidth, I would like to know about it. I know there is hardware
to do this, but the best I can imagine is that if you had two lines
open the routing software would alternate packets between the two
lines or something like that. If you were lucky.

I can't believe that if there were something like this in the kernel
it wouldn't be an ongoing thread ;-)

Post by Christoph Lamet » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: |     I was under the impression that this support was built into the
: | Linux kernel.  I had inquired about the same thing a while ago and that's
: | the answer that I got.

: Okay net fans, is there something I'm missing here? If there's
: support for using two lines between sites using the combined
: bandwidth, I would like to know about it. I know there is hardware
: to do this, but the best I can imagine is that if you had two lines
: open the routing software would alternate packets between the two
: lines or something like that. If you were lucky.

No problem. Enable the EQL-something option in the newer kernels. It will do load balancing between two
ports. Run two diald daemons and everything should be fine.

 Christoph Lameter            FTS Box 466, Pasadena, CA 91182
 Internet Administrator       Who is like Jesus... who is like God...?

T1 or 56K interface for linux?

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>: Okay net fans, is there something I'm missing here? If there's
>: support for using two lines between sites using the combined
>: bandwidth, I would like to know about it. I know there is hardware
>: to do this, but the best I can imagine is that if you had two lines
>: open the routing software would alternate packets between the two
>: lines or something like that. If you were lucky.

>No problem. Enable the EQL-something option in the newer kernels. It will do load balancing between two
>ports. Run two diald daemons and everything should be fine.

How does this work?  What I'd really like is to have two lines open,
one just for me (sitting at the terminal, FTP'ing, telnetting, etc.),
and one for everyone else (WWW stuff, perhaps FTP, etc.)  In other
words, I'd like to give myself a constant 28.8K of bankwidth, and
offer 28.8K for everyone else to share.  Can this be done?

Post by bill davids » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| >   Sure, you can purchase async<->sync convertors, but they suck. And you take
| >   a performance hit because async. is 20% slower than sync.

Actually you mean async takes 20% more bits per byte, which isn't
the same thing. It would be possible (and I can't see all that
difficult) to use a higher speed on the DTE, say 115k async and 56k
sync.

I don't disagree with your thought that sync is better, but your
nomenclature is unclear.

| If you like to use sync connections, you will need a sync ppp drivr for linux
| and sync interface card. There is my sync ppp driver avaiable from
|
| ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/kernel/xnet-sync-driver.tar.gz

Sounds good!

I seem to remember older modem having support for sync connection,
and I know older serial ports used USARTs which could be put in
either mode. Somewhere along the line the world went async for the
most part.

I'm going to pull that file, which hopefully includes info on what
hardware to use, and how fast you can run the line.