one static ip, multisystem lan, want to use other systems for services

one static ip, multisystem lan, want to use other systems for services

Post by Dan Macpherso » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

i will soon have a an adsl
and i will me setting up services
like www, ftp, telnet, irc.....
i was wonder since i will have 1 static ip
how do i use other systems to administer to
lets say irc.

i was thinking that i could just add
to my /etc/hosts
192.168.0.5   irc.XXXX.com irc
192.168.0.6   ftp.XXXX.com ftp
192.168.0.5   telnet.XXXX.com telnet
192.168.0.7   tim.XXXX.com tim
192.168.0.8   bob.XXXX.com bob

but this is only accessible to the internal
lan.  how can i make it so the people outside (internet)
can access these systems through my single ip???

is it possible, or should i just put the full load, and security,
on my one system?  this is not what i want to do....

thanks in advance

Dan

1. Using DHCP for Internet but also need a static IP for internal Lan

Ok,

I'm running Mandrake at work here and I've got the network card
configured with DHCP so I can get access to the Internet.  Now I want to
use Samba to so that I can use my Win98 workstations to save files to my
linux box, but I need a static IP.

I know I could plug another network card in but is there any way to do
it with just one?  Also should DHCP assign me an IP address?  I ran
Netcfg but don't see one.  Is there someplace else where I can see what
IP address the DHCP server assigned me?

If anyone knows It would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heyday

Long Distance Rates At 0, 3.9, 4.9, 5.9 !!!!
We shop the telecom industry so you don't have to!
http://www.Phone4Less.nu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How do I exit tip leaving connection open?

3. Dynamically assign VPN IP's to LAN static IP's

4. PPP dialer Applet (HOW TO USE IT?)

5. RH5.2: Two NICs, one DHCP, one static IP

6. Need pam.conf config help for RSH/REMSH and SSH authentication

7. two ip addresses one fixed and one static

8. Boot management program?

9. IP Aliasing Question (using one NIC to gateway a LAN to an @home cable modem)

10. Howto determine if a system is using DHCP or STATIC IP

11. how to connect a LAN to Internet using only one IP address

12. Need 2 IP addresses on one Linux Box one /etc/services

13. can one ip on one nic be shared over lan