Telnet server and Internet sharing.

Post by Wil » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:36:58

Hi.
   I have a home network with internet sharing ran by the Sygate program on
a Win98 machine.
I'm one of the client that uses the internet sharing.  I've installed Redhat
7 along with a telnet server
on my computer. The other computers in my home network can telnet into my
computer fine,
but people cannot telnet into my computer via the Internet. Is there anyway
for people on the
Internet to logon to my computer even though I'm not really the host?

Tidbits:
Server computer
 64.168.xxx.xxx (IP connected to the net)
 169.254.104.1 (Local IP)
My computer
 169.254.104.2
Other computer(s)
 169.254.104.x

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Wil

Post by Ian Northeas » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:24:54

> Hi.
>    I have a home network with internet sharing ran by the Sygate program on
> a Win98 machine.
> I'm one of the client that uses the internet sharing.  I've installed Redhat
> 7 along with a telnet server
> on my computer. The other computers in my home network can telnet into my
> computer fine,
> but people cannot telnet into my computer via the Internet. Is there anyway
> for people on the
> Internet to logon to my computer even though I'm not really the host?

You can probably do it if this Sygate program can do port forwarding -
forward port 23 to the telnet server (and check /etc/hosts.allow and
deny).

But are you *sure* you want to do this? It really is not secure at all.
You should look at ssh, which RH7 includes. Do not allow incoming telnet
if there are any valuable data on any machine in your network. Telnet
does no encryption, even the password is sent in clear.

Telnet server and Internet sharing.

Post by Barnaby Mannerin » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:48:28

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:24:54 +0000, Ian Northeast

>> Hi.
>>    I have a home network with internet sharing ran by the Sygate program on
>> a Win98 machine.
>> I'm one of the client that uses the internet sharing.  I've installed Redhat
>> 7 along with a telnet server
>> on my computer. The other computers in my home network can telnet into my
>> computer fine,
>> but people cannot telnet into my computer via the Internet. Is there anyway
>> for people on the
>> Internet to logon to my computer even though I'm not really the host?

>You can probably do it if this Sygate program can do port forwarding -
>forward port 23 to the telnet server (and check /etc/hosts.allow and
>deny).

>But are you *sure* you want to do this? It really is not secure at all.
>You should look at ssh, which RH7 includes. Do not allow incoming telnet
>if there are any valuable data on any machine in your network. Telnet
>does no encryption, even the password is sent in clear.

I agree with all that, if you need a program to do the port forward I
wrote a windows 9x/NT/2000/ME program which will do the port forward

you are interested.

Telnet server and Internet sharing.

Post by Wil » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:04:28

Thank you two for all the help.
The program would be great.
-Wil

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:24:54 +0000, Ian Northeast

> >> Hi.
> >>    I have a home network with internet sharing ran by the Sygate
program on
> >> a Win98 machine.
> >> I'm one of the client that uses the internet sharing.  I've installed
Redhat
> >> 7 along with a telnet server
> >> on my computer. The other computers in my home network can telnet into
my
> >> computer fine,
> >> but people cannot telnet into my computer via the Internet. Is there
anyway
> >> for people on the
> >> Internet to logon to my computer even though I'm not really the host?

> >You can probably do it if this Sygate program can do port forwarding -
> >forward port 23 to the telnet server (and check /etc/hosts.allow and
> >deny).

> >But are you *sure* you want to do this? It really is not secure at all.
> >You should look at ssh, which RH7 includes. Do not allow incoming telnet
> >if there are any valuable data on any machine in your network. Telnet
> >does no encryption, even the password is sent in clear.

> I agree with all that, if you need a program to do the port forward I
> wrote a windows 9x/NT/2000/ME program which will do the port forward

> you are interested.

Telnet server and Internet sharing.

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:54:16

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a home network with internet sharing ran by the Sygate program on
> a Win98 machine. I'm one of the client that uses the internet sharing.
> I've installed Redhat 7 along with a telnet server on my computer. The
> other computers in my home network can telnet into my computer fine,
> but people cannot telnet into my computer via the Internet. Is there anyway
> for people on the Internet to logon to my computer even though I'm not
> really the host?

Do you have IP forwarding enabled on your server and have you setup IP
Masq'ing.  Additionally, I would recommend that you would use the network
range of 192.168.x.y for local machines.  It isn't a good idea taking a valid
IP address and using it within a local network unless you have strict border
controls preventing the leaking of packets.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. FS: Internet Gateway Server (Departmnetal or Internet Server)

New Internet Gateway Server -Department Server for small businesses or
internet server
                         20-300 Users.

100 % Sparc Compatible SS20 base system with SS20 system board, SS20/71
CPU module, 75MHz microSPARC, 1Mbyte SuperCache, 1 to 2 CPU
Multiprocessing capability, 32MByteeCC memory module (up to 512 MB), 2.1
GByte 3.5" SCSI-2 hard drive (up to 73 Gbytes), 4 Sbus slots, Built-In
ISDN, Solaris 2.x RTU license, IGS Software Plug-and-Play Solution
Package (Netscape Navigator, Eudora, POP2/POP3 server, firewall security
software, IMAP Server, Telnet, ftp, anonymous ftp server,SMPT,
Asynchronus PPP, Primary/Secondary/Caching DNS Server, HTML
Administration Tool, System Recovery Tool) Netscape Communications
Server, Mouse, Pizza-Box System Chassis, Cable Set, 644Mbyte internal
SCSI-2 CD ROM         $10,995

--------
Dial up, ISDN or T1 Interface

SS20/81 85 MHz  + $400

SGX 120 8-bit Sbus Graphics Accelerators, GX+, 2Mbyte VRAM, 1280x1024,
CG6   $695

Fast Wide Desktop RAID subsystem with 8MByte cache, built-in 33Mhz Risc
R3000 CPU
pizza box style SS/20 form factor, 6x 1.05 GByte hard drive
$7,900

Fast Wide Desktop RAID subsystem with 8MByte cache, built-in 33Mhz Risc
R3000 CPU
pizza box style SS/20 form factor6x 2.1 GByte hard drive SS20 form factor
 $12,000

**Note** All Raid Drives are hot swappable, if one drive fails it can be
replaced without interuption or data loss (great for news and mail
servers) Drives are enhanced by up to 32 MB cache memory, data stored in
the write cache is protected by a battery backup. Optimized for use with
the Solaris OS, easy to use GUI config tool. Supports RAID levels 0,1,3,5
and 6. On RAID levels 1 through 6, if a drive fails, a data rebuild will
occur automatically to a global hot spare drive. Need I say more?

E-Mail for more Info.
Pete Baldwin

2. bin files

3. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

4. AOL instant Messenger.

5. Setting up shared Internet connection with a Linux client with a Windows 2000 server (gateway)

6. LINUX NETWORKING IS NEAT!! READ

7. Internet Sharing Win98 (server) to Linux (client)

8. 3Com 3C509 unrecognized?

9. Installing a home server for internet sharing

10. Internet Sharing 2 computes off 1 server

11. Local Development Servers & Internet Connection Sharing

12. ?Telnet server sooooooo slow over internet...

13. telnet client through proxy server to the internet