ifconfig: can't resolve symbol: '_h_errno'???

ifconfig: can't resolve symbol: '_h_errno'???

Post by Arto J Santa » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

        I'm in trouble... I can't get ifconfig or route to wrok, thay
just tell me that they can't resolve symbol: '_h_errno'.

        Any ideas on what to do? Finding solution is really hard since I
can't use pppd and slattach anymore... Are they linked to some libraries
I need to update? What could be the reason? Error is clearly in files,
but I copied them from other computer, where they work fine, and they
still refused to work on mine. Help!

Hawk Out.

--
 - Head-*it! Kick it in the groin! It can't be that hard to beat a devil!

1. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

I recently upgraded my kernel to 2.0.0, as well as teh assorted packages
required to get it to run. (gcc2.7.2, libc-5.2.18, binutils-2.6.0.14,
ld.so-1.7.14, sysvinit-2.62, util-linux-2.5)

I also upgraded sendmail to 8.7.5.

After the upgrade, whenever I sent mail I got the error message
 can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Oddly, I didn't have the problem if I sent mail as root.

"No problem," I said. "I'll just use my old binary." Which I did.

Then I decided that I needed a mail reader. So I downloaded the source
for slrn and slang, compiled everything, and ran it.

Once again I was faced with the message:
 can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

Oddly, the program runs if I'm root or use sudo.

gdb reports the following:
Starting program: /usr/src/slrn/src/objs/./slrn
/usr/src/slrn/src/objs/./slrn: can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

0x400025c0 in Blank_Hash ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x400025c0 in Blank_Hash ()
#1  0x400058a4 in Blank_Hash ()
#2  0x40003afc in Blank_Hash ()
#3  0x400019cf in Blank_Hash ()
#4  0x1 in ?? ()

Any ideas?

Later,
-B

--
Brandon High    http://www.ccnet.com/~bjhigh    Down with Big Brother!

--
"Hey Bullwinkle, watch me exhale my guts!" - Jeffrey D Smith

2. Printing headers and footers??

3. Why partition a large drive???

4. XEmacs 19.13 ELF: can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

5. Text to speech reader

6. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

7. An alternative to Apache's directory listing

8. can't resolve symbol: '_H_Errno'

9. can't resolve symbol '_h_errno'

10. Cant resolve symbol '_h_errno'

11. sendmail: unable to resolve symbol: _h_errno - What's wrong?

12. Netscape 3.0x and 'Can't resolve symbol'