Netgear 310tx

Post by Rob » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've recently started learning Linux and have so far got RedHat 5.0
installed on my pc and xwindows working.  Were I'm at now is trying to
figure out the best way to get my Network card setup in Linux.  The latest
info from Netgear on my card has files for Linux, but I don't know how to
get them from w98 into Linux.  I read their (brief) help on it and it just
made me more confused.  They suggest 2 separete ways to add the files.  One
was if I wanted to compile it into my kernal, and the other is if I want it
as a Module.
I have no idea which would be better or exactly what I have to do (other
than type the command that their help file says).  I guess I'm trying to
figure out which way I should go with it and how to get the files into
Linux.
Any help would be appriciated.

Rob

Netgear 310tx

Post by Joewono Setiabud » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

First you need to mount your floppy so you can access the diskette.

How to mount (must be root):
1. create a directory, you can name it anything.
2. type: mount /dev/fd0 thenewdirectory
3. go to the directory that you just created, you should be able to
    see the content of the disk in that directory now.
If you can't see the content, than you might need to use other device.
My floppy is at /dev/fd0, your might be different than mine.

I don't know how to load the ethernet module though.
What I did just compile the kernel with a support for that ethernet card
and it will work.

> I've recently started learning Linux and have so far got RedHat 5.0
> installed on my pc and xwindows working.  Were I'm at now is trying to
> figure out the best way to get my Network card setup in Linux.  The latest
> info from Netgear on my card has files for Linux, but I don't know how to
> get them from w98 into Linux.  I read their (brief) help on it and it just
> made me more confused.  They suggest 2 separete ways to add the files.  One
> was if I wanted to compile it into my kernal, and the other is if I want it
> as a Module.
> I have no idea which would be better or exactly what I have to do (other
> than type the command that their help file says).  I guess I'm trying to
> figure out which way I should go with it and how to get the files into
> Linux.
> Any help would be appriciated.

> Rob

Netgear 310tx

Post by Rob » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Well, I was able to mount the floppy, for that I am very thankful.  Only
problem I have now when I try to compile the tulip.c file as netgear's files
said, I get a fatal error.  I believe it was something like "11 fatal
error".
I forget the rest of the error as I was working on it last night.  But
thanks for the advice on how to get access to my floppy drive.

Rob

>First you need to mount your floppy so you can access the diskette.

>How to mount (must be root):
>1. create a directory, you can name it anything.
>2. type: mount /dev/fd0 thenewdirectory
>3. go to the directory that you just created, you should be able to
>    see the content of the disk in that directory now.
>If you can't see the content, than you might need to use other device.
>My floppy is at /dev/fd0, your might be different than mine.

>I don't know how to load the ethernet module though.
>What I did just compile the kernel with a support for that ethernet card
>and it will work.

Netgear 310tx

Post by Mark Johnso » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Check out http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/ for the latest tulip.c (driver
code), and instructions on its compilation, etc.

> I've recently started learning Linux and have so far got RedHat 5.0
> installed on my pc and xwindows working.  Were I'm at now is trying to
> figure out the best way to get my Network card setup in Linux.  The latest
> info from Netgear on my card has files for Linux, but I don't know how to
> get them from w98 into Linux.  I read their (brief) help on it and it just
> made me more confused.  They suggest 2 separete ways to add the files.  One
> was if I wanted to compile it into my kernal, and the other is if I want it
> as a Module.
> I have no idea which would be better or exactly what I have to do (other
> than type the command that their help file says).  I guess I'm trying to
> figure out which way I should go with it and how to get the files into
> Linux.
> Any help would be appriciated.

> Rob

Netgear 310tx

Post by Rob » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I finally got my card configured!  Thanks for all the help.  Had to
download latest tulip.c from the site I was given, then run

gcc -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall-Wstr
ict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c

Then
cp tulip.o /lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/tulip.o
where XX=32 for me.

Then
/sbin/depmod -a

Then add
alias eth0 tulip
to /etc/conf.modules

Finally, reboot and go into netcfg.

Thanks!

Rob

>Check out http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/ for the latest tulip.c (driver
>code), and instructions on its compilation, etc.

>> I've recently started learning Linux and have so far got RedHat 5.0
>> installed on my pc and xwindows working.  Were I'm at now is trying to
>> figure out the best way to get my Network card setup in Linux.  The
latest
>> info from Netgear on my card has files for Linux, but I don't know how to
>> get them from w98 into Linux.  I read their (brief) help on it and it
just
>> made me more confused.  They suggest 2 separete ways to add the files.
One
>> was if I wanted to compile it into my kernal, and the other is if I want
it
>> as a Module.
>> I have no idea which would be better or exactly what I have to do (other
>> than type the command that their help file says).  I guess I'm trying to
>> figure out which way I should go with it and how to get the files into
>> Linux.
>> Any help would be appriciated.

>> Rob

1. Netgear 310TX PCI Card - Linux Drivers?

Hi folks,
I'm trying to find drivers for this card. Are there any? I'm using Suse
6.3 & kernel 2.2.13 and I also have a PCI Realtek 8139 in the machine.

Working on it as a gateway for my network through a cable modem.

Can anyone confirm whether Linux drivers for these cards use 100mb
feature or do they default to 10mb?

Thanks :)

Dermot Black

2. serial port speed

3. Trying to setup new Netgear 310TX card

4. finding executable file locations

5. Problem with Netgear 310TX card

6. How do proxy servers work?

7. NETGEAR 310TX Ethernet card good for a server?

8. Routing to different subnets - prob Sol2.3

9. support for Netgear FA-310TX ?

10. Netgear FA 310TX REV-D2 and the Tulip driver

11. Netgear FA-310TX-D 10/100 PCI Ether card and Solaris 7 - Not configured

12. Netgear FA-310TX with Tulip chip

13. Netgear linux and netgear DG824MI