ntp? Howto setup?

Post by Tobias Manthe » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,
my problem is the following. My linux dial-out box fetches the
latetest time every time it connects to the internet by using
netdate -l 1 <provider-ip>
clock -w
xntpd is running on <dialout-box>

This part works excellent. But know I want to sync this time
to with other linux box. So I switched to <other-box> and thought
netdate -l -1 <dialout-box-ip> whould work. But this would have been too
easy, I guess.
It returns some mysterious date about Th, 7 of whatdoIknow.
Forcing netdate to use tcp protocol, will result in
connection refused. Another strange thing is, that I get these
results no matter whether xntpd is running on <dialout-box> or
not.
Thanks for any help in advance!
Tobias

ntp? Howto setup?

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>my problem is the following. My linux dial-out box fetches the
>latetest time every time it connects to the internet by using
>netdate -l 1 <provider-ip>
>clock -w
>xntpd is running on <dialout-box>

>This part works excellent. But know I want to sync this time
>to with other linux box. So I switched to <other-box> and thought
>netdate -l -1 <dialout-box-ip> whould work. But this would have been too
>easy, I guess.
>It returns some mysterious date about Th, 7 of whatdoIknow.
>Forcing netdate to use tcp protocol, will result in
>connection refused. Another strange thing is, that I get these
>results no matter whether xntpd is running on <dialout-box> or
>not.

xntpd has nothing to do with netdate (and I don't know what does since
my ISP does not support netdate or rdate).  Normally once you have the
date set on the dialout box, fire up 'xntpd' there and then read it
from the other with 'ntpdate' (which my ISP does support).

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

ntp? Howto setup?

Post by Tobias Manthe » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi all,
> >my problem is the following. My linux dial-out box fetches the
> >latetest time every time it connects to the internet by using
> >netdate -l 1 <provider-ip>
> >clock -w
> >xntpd is running on <dialout-box>

> >This part works excellent. But know I want to sync this time
> >to with other linux box. So I switched to <other-box> and thought
> >netdate -l -1 <dialout-box-ip> whould work. But this would have been too
> >easy, I guess.
> >It returns some mysterious date about Th, 7 of whatdoIknow.
> >Forcing netdate to use tcp protocol, will result in
> >connection refused. Another strange thing is, that I get these
> >results no matter whether xntpd is running on <dialout-box> or
> >not.

> xntpd has nothing to do with netdate (and I don't know what does since
> my ISP does not support netdate or rdate).  Normally once you have the
> date set on the dialout box, fire up 'xntpd' there and then read it
> from the other with 'ntpdate' (which my ISP does support).

> David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

At first thank you very much for your advise. As obvious I am
new in this ntp thing. Yesterday I finally suceeded in getting
it to run using netdate. I just to enable to lines in my
/etc/inetd.conf which were originally commented. I searched for the
first line containing the word time.
I showed something like this
# daytime stream 123 123 123 123
# daytime tcp 123 123 123 123
# time stream 234 234 234 234
# time tcp 234 234 234 234
I enabled these lines and send my inetd a HUP. This was magic
After that I could use. netdate -l 1 <dial-out-box-ip> and I
got the right time.
Ok muchias gracias and bye bye
Tobias

1. ntp.conf ntp config file setup

I want to sync my server to time standards. I'm looking for a general
ntp.conf file example that I can drop into my system and get it to work.
I'm not looking for anything fancy here. I just want it to be close and
not have to fool with it.

Does anyone have a sample you can post?

--
Supreme Commander * Nerd Liberation Movement
"We're coming out of the back room!"

http://www.perkel.com
http://www.ctyme.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Telnet Problem

3. NTP howto?

4. Help wanted - LINUX does not boot on PS/2

5. HOWTO-ntp anyone?

6. looking for advice on a 3.3V PCI video input card

7. NTP HowTo

8. New, Address-updated Template at sunsite & tsx-11

9. "HowTo" Set Up Local NTP Server?

10. Need NTP (ntp/xntp) for Solaris 2.x

11. NTP client not synchronised with NTP server

12. Problem with ntp on solaris (also posted on comp.protocols.time.ntp)

13. How to Configure Linux machine as NTP server and Solaris machine as NTP client