IPX support and nmbd error

Post by Jeff Pierc » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I recently installed ncps-2.0.10 for netware server support along wihtt
he IPX support.

I now have Netware server access.

The problem is that I get error messages in syslog as follows:

Mar 24 14:20:29 jpierce inetd[84]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
Mar 24 14:21:30 jpierce last message repeated 36 times
Mar 24 14:22:31 jpierce last message repeated 3 times
Mar 24 14:23:22 jpierce last message repeated 46 times
Mar 24 14:24:10 jpierce last message repeated 12 times

and

Mar 24 14:35:48 jpierce inetd[84]: netbios-ns/udp server failing
(looping), serv
ice terminated

What is happening?  I do not have /usr/sbin/mnbd, which is probably why
it the cpmplaint is happening.
I finally found a nmbd.8 man page in the samba area of sunsite.unc.edu
disc that came from INfomagic and it says that nmbd is a netbios name
server.  And, that it is part of the Samba suite, which I am not
running. I expect that either IPX or ncps had something to do with this.

So, can somebody tell me hos to keep the above from happening?
Do I hav eto install nmbd?
Is there someway to stop whoever is trying to run nmbd from running it?

Jeff Pierce

1. HELP: 0x1x error with nmbd and other samba errors - linux

I have samba 1.9.16P3 running on a redhat linux box and am unable to get
Samba going completely. When I do a 'smbclient -L unixbox', I get the
message

No interface found....
Added interface...
error connecting to .... (connection refused)

smbd is running according to the proc list as is nmbd. The only errors
I've been able to find are in samba_log.nmbd

no 0x1d name type in interpret_node_status()

netstat -a shows netbios-ssn alive and listening (although it doesn't
mention on what port...)

Help?

Thanks
-Bill

2. csa_ (calendar services) functions

3. IPX: Network Collision error (How can I turn off IPX)

4. kernel 2.2.1, taper and Colorado 5GB IDE TBU

5. Error messages after IPX support added

6. quotas on special users?

7. Samba (nmbd) crash when enabling WINS support

8. Error message with linuxconf

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. /usr/sbin/nmbd Error?

11. what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

12. errors from inetd: /usr/sbin/nmbd?? Any ideas?

13. error in syslog!! inted, nmbd??