all ports other than httpd(80) slow, why?

all ports other than httpd(80) slow, why?

Post by Shaw » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I know this is a Frequently asked question, but I haven't seen a solution to
speed it up yet.

With no DNS, I should be able to in theory just to set a machine name and an
IP and I should be able to Telnet, Ftp and any server to the machine all
day, with out telling the server, the machine I am contacting from and
nearly instant.   This says something about inetd, what it says I am not
sure; considering that httpd is nearly instant, even with out DNS and a
nameserver defined.

So what's left?  Considering I need to be able to get to that machine from
any machine at any time,with out the delay and with out taking the time to
set up the new IP of the random machine on the server.

Post by Tom Easte » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I know this is a Frequently asked question, but I haven't seen a solution to
> speed it up yet.

> With no DNS, I should be able to in theory just to set a machine name and an
> IP and I should be able to Telnet, Ftp and any server to the machine all
> day, with out telling the server, the machine I am contacting from and
> nearly instant.   This says something about inetd, what it says I am not
> sure; considering that httpd is nearly instant, even with out DNS and a
> nameserver defined.

> So what's left?  Considering I need to be able to get to that machine from
> any machine at any time,with out the delay and with out taking the time to
> set up the new IP of the random machine on the server.

Well, you could quit using tcpd to start ftpd, telnetd, etc. Of course,
you loose a lot of security that way but it's your choice...

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Post by 00642 » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I know this is a Frequently asked question, but I haven't seen a solution to
> speed it up yet.

> With no DNS, I should be able to in theory just to set a machine name and an
> IP and I should be able to Telnet, Ftp and any server to the machine all
> day, with out telling the server, the machine I am contacting from and
> nearly instant.   This says something about inetd, what it says I am not
> sure; considering that httpd is nearly instant, even with out DNS and a
> nameserver defined.

> So what's left?  Considering I need to be able to get to that machine from
> any machine at any time,with out the delay and with out taking the time to
> set up the new IP of the random machine on the server.

Why don't you specify a DNS server, then? You might as well run and
configure bind for your own private network. That shouldn't be that much
of a hassle and at least you won't encounter strange behaviour related
to DNS lookups not completing properly.

--Maarten