Unable to set up Ad Hoc wireless network using Linux

Unable to set up Ad Hoc wireless network using Linux

Post by Suji » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:07:48

Hi,
    I have a PC running Win2000 Professional (which has a DSL connection),
and a Laptop running Red Hat 7.3; both have US Robotics wireless cards.
    If the laptop runs Win2000 Professional, then Iam able to setup an
ad-hoc network, and use the PC's DSL connection, for accessing the Net.
    But Iam not able to setup an ad-hoc network, when the laptop is running
Linux. However, when I brought the laptop over to my office, and used it in
Infrastructure mode, on a wireless network, it works fine.
    So the problem is with the Ad-Hoc mode alone. I've changed the following
files (with no success)
/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts
wlan.conf
    Even after I restart pcmcia, it refuses to come up in Ad-Hoc mode (still
shows Infrastructure when I execute 'wlancfg show wlan0' and look at the
'dot11DesiredBSSType' and 'p2CreateIBSS' values).

    Please help !!

Regards
- Sujit

Unable to set up Ad Hoc wireless network using Linux

Post by Mohamed Jaye » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:20:50

did u ckeck your pcmcia config file. it can be disabled.
I hope it is as simple.
till me what happens.

> Hi,
>     I have a PC running Win2000 Professional (which has a DSL connection),
> and a Laptop running Red Hat 7.3; both have US Robotics wireless cards.
>     If the laptop runs Win2000 Professional, then Iam able to setup an
> ad-hoc network, and use the PC's DSL connection, for accessing the Net.
>     But Iam not able to setup an ad-hoc network, when the laptop is running
> Linux. However, when I brought the laptop over to my office, and used it in
> Infrastructure mode, on a wireless network, it works fine.
>     So the problem is with the Ad-Hoc mode alone. I've changed the following
> files (with no success)
> /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
> wlan.conf
>     Even after I restart pcmcia, it refuses to come up in Ad-Hoc mode (still
> shows Infrastructure when I execute 'wlancfg show wlan0' and look at the
> 'dot11DesiredBSSType' and 'p2CreateIBSS' values).

>     Please help !!

> Regards
> - Sujit

Unable to set up Ad Hoc wireless network using Linux

Post by Suji » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:26:14

Here are the relevant sections of some files -

1. /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts

      #=======SELECT STATION MODE===================
      IS_ADHOC=y              # y|n, y - adhoc, n - infrastructure

      #=======INFRASTRUCTURE STATION START===================
      # SSID is all we have for now
      AuthType="opensystem"         # opensystem | sharedkey (requires WEP)
        # Use DesiredSSID="" to associate with any AP in range
      DesiredSSID=""

        #=======ADHOC STATION START============================
      SSID="ANY"           # SSID
      BCNINT=100              # Beacon interval (in Kus)
      CHANNEL=7               # DS channel for BSS (1-14, depends
                              #   on regulatory domain)
      BASICRATES="2 4"        # Rates for mgmt&ctl frames (in 500Kb/s)
      OPRATES="2 4 11 22"         # Supported rates in BSS (in 500Kb/s)

2. /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

INFO="Sample private network setup"
    # Transceiver selection, for some cards -- see 'man ifport'
    IF_PORT=""
    # Use BOOTP (via /sbin/bootpc, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]
    BOOTP="n"
    # Use DHCP (via /sbin/dhcpcd, /sbin/dhclient, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]
    DHCP="n"
    # If you need to explicitly specify a hostname for DHCP requests
    DHCP_HOSTNAME="192.168.0.1"
    Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
    IPADDR="192.168.0.100"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    NETWORK="192.168.0.0"
    BROADCAST="192.168.0.255"
    # Gateway address for static routing
    GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

3. /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-wlan

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
IPADDR=192.168.0.100
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
ONBOOT=yes

Regards
- Sujit

> did u ckeck your pcmcia config file. it can be disabled.
> I hope it is as simple.
> till me what happens.

> > Hi,
> >     I have a PC running Win2000 Professional (which has a DSL
connection),
> > and a Laptop running Red Hat 7.3; both have US Robotics wireless cards.
> >     If the laptop runs Win2000 Professional, then Iam able to setup an
> > ad-hoc network, and use the PC's DSL connection, for accessing the Net.
> >     But Iam not able to setup an ad-hoc network, when the laptop is
running
> > Linux. However, when I brought the laptop over to my office, and used it
in
> > Infrastructure mode, on a wireless network, it works fine.
> >     So the problem is with the Ad-Hoc mode alone. I've changed the
following
> > files (with no success)
> > /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
> > /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
> > wlan.conf
> >     Even after I restart pcmcia, it refuses to come up in Ad-Hoc mode
(still
> > shows Infrastructure when I execute 'wlancfg show wlan0' and look at the
> > 'dot11DesiredBSSType' and 'p2CreateIBSS' values).

> >     Please help !!

> > Regards
> > - Sujit

1. Unable to set up ad-hoc wireless network

Hi,
    I have a PC running Win2000 Professional (which has a DSL connection),
and a Laptop running Red Hat 7.3; both have US Robotics wireless cards
(USR-2410 11 Mbps PC Card).
    If the laptop runs Win2000 Professional, then Iam able to setup an
ad-hoc network, and use the PC's DSL connection, for accessing the Net.
    But Iam not able to setup an ad-hoc network, when the laptop is running
Linux. However, when I brought the laptop over to my office, and used it in
Infrastructure mode, on a wireless network, it works fine.
    So the problem is with the Ad-Hoc mode alone. I've changed the following
files (with no success)
/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts
wlan.conf
    Even after I restart pcmcia, it refuses to come up in Ad-Hoc mode (still
shows Infrastructure when I execute 'wlancfg show wlan0' and look at the
'dot11DesiredBSSType' and 'p2CreateIBSS' values).

    Please help !!

Regards
- Sujit

2. 2 computer home network [Newbie]

3. Unable to set up wireless ad-hoc network

4. rescue boot disk

5. linux ad-hoc and managed mode wireless networking

6. OOppss...i did it again!

7. Problem with Ad-hoc wireless network Windows to Linux (no ping)

8. Extra page printed after every job

9. Wireless (802.11) ad-hoc network

10. ad hoc wireless question

11. wireless Ad-Hoc lan with RedHat 7.3

12. WIFI Ad-Hoc network with encryption: howto?

13. Multihop Ad-Hoc on Linux